Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Nissan > Sales

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler to build Nissan's Full Size Pickup

As part of their recently announced production agreement, Nissan will scrap their Titan full size pickup and Chrysler will produce the replacement vehicle.

Many people see this as another step toward the ultimate consolidation of Chrysler and Nissan.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Why scrap the Titan? I thought it was doing well?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Why scrap the Titan? I thought it was doing well?
I always thought that it was a good truck, it just wasn't good enough to get people to switch from the Big 3 trucks. Even Toyota has had some difficulty with their Tundra.

I need to do some more reading on what Nissan's getting and what Chrysler's getting as part of this agreement. I know that the Chrysler dealers desperately need small cars, but I'm not sure I'd be too excited about sharing the Dodge Ram with Nissan?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Many people see this as another step toward the ultimate consolidation of Chrysler and Nissan.
It's amazing, this thread isn't even six month old and look how much the world has changed.

Six months ago as a Dodge Dealer you were probably thinking that you'd be happy to share the Ram 1500 if it meant that you would get access to Nissan's small car line and the promise that Dodge would build the cool looking Dodge Hornet.

Now you're in a fog wondering what the Hell is happening to your franchise. Nissan is clearly in the power position and it appears possible that you'll be getting your Dodge 1500 - 4500 trucks from a Nissan factory.

And all of this has happened in a span of six months.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Snowrider

I'm gonna' bump this thread again to today since I have a Nissan franchise.

Nissan's Titan was quite seriously one of the poorest thought out trucks to hit the streets. I had Titan's, Rams and Tundra's all in the same showroom and on the same lot. The Titan paled in comparison to the other two and they were sold off at net net plus a free chicken sandwich just to get them out of our hair. It rattled, rode rough and had the poorest thought out dashboard and switch placement I'd seen since the AMC Pacer.

If Chrysler had gone ahead and made the Titan it would have competed against the Ram which, as we all know, is the bread and butter truck for Chrysler. If they were hoping for a Versa clone (Hornet) in trade, they might not have done much better than Nissan is today.

The Versa is a decent little car with average features that doesn't set it apart from any other mini-buggy offering, (Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris). I commented the other day that the car doesn't need doors, it needs a zipper and you can wear it. I've never slid into a coat with a steering wheel, but that's the impression that car gives me.

Fast forward.....now we have FIAT sniffing around the door sill looking for a way in. This will be interesting to see play out. As discussed in another thread, who will the "select" C/D/J dealers be that will get FIAT and what will be the criteria?

Will the Alfa Romeo badge be included with the FIAT offerings?
Snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrider View Post
Fast forward.....now we have FIAT sniffing around the door sill looking for a way in. This will be interesting to see play out. As discussed in another thread, who will the "select" C/D/J dealers be that will get FIAT and what will be the criteria?

Will the Alfa Romeo badge be included with the FIAT offerings?
Yep... we had the same question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
Well I just got back from the Atlanta sebc meeting, and yes it was a somber meeting to say the least. ....

He used the term “ALL” dealers should have the A, B, & C segment Fiat cars in there showrooms as early as 2011 or 2012 if the deal goes as planned.
I'd guess Alfa Romeo as the "bait".

Last edited by CL Pgh; 01-30-2009 at 06:03 PM.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

I realize that it's been almost eight months since this thread's been updated, but I thought it was worthy to note that Chrysler and Nissan have officially terminated their joint-venture plans.

It's ironic that in the span of the past eight months the deal with Nissan fell apart and then seemed to come back together - now it's officially dead.

Here's a link to a report from the New York Times that covered the story - click here

I still think that a Chrysler/Nissan deal would have been better than a Chrysler/Fiat deal but at this point that's all water under the bridge. I still wonder why Nissan and Hyundai walked away from a deal with Chrysler, it makes me wonder what they saw that Fiat didn't? (Or, what Fiat saw that Nissan and Hyundai missed?)
Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
srt

The price of admission was most favorable to the boys from Italy.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
The price of admission was most favorable to the boys from Italy.
It's always been my understanding that Nissan and Hyundai were offered the same deal that Fiat was offered but they walked away.

If that's the case, then I question whether Marchionne wants to fix Chrysler or just use the company as a tool to re-enter the North America market with Fiat and Alfa Romeo?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Thread update - The Titan lives.....

In the never ending saga of the Nissan Titan, the latest spin is the truck will live and a new version will be released to the dealers in 2011.

Nissan's Carlos Ghosn didn't indicate whether the Titan would be done entirely in-house or whether there would be a partnership. Given that Dodge is no longer an available partner that would only leave Toyota, GM and Ford as likely partners.

Here's a link to the report - click here