Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Ralph

Default Awesome New Chrysler Advertising

This is the new marketing plan, to help us guys market and sell more product. Ummm..what did they say the features of the vehicle were again...maybe I missed it.

Here's the link, its on the corporate site as well.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
LJS

If this is what they think is gonna sell cars, we are up the creek without a paddle.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
CL Pgh

http://www.truveo.com/fiat%E2%80%99s.../id/3096380658

I don't see it... but the guy over seeing our ads. supposedly has one of the hottest hands in the advertising business right now. As you can see he did this spot for Fiat a year+ ago. He also took a live Panda, put it in a Fiat 500... and crashed it during the commercial! The ad. spot ends with the bear exiting the vehicle unharmed & a tag line like... Fiat 500 No Safer Vehicle For Our Environment.

European flare or whatever you want to call it... lets hope we get some jaw dropping ads. fast!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Wow, I don't know what to say....

I certainly don't want to be critical of an effort to draw attention to plight of a political prisoner, but what does that have to do with selling cars?

The current commercials remind me of the Celine Dion era where the cars played a secondary role to the spokesperson.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
possum

Surely, that is not an actual commercial, its just a film made to specific purpose, or project.

That cannot be a mainstream traffic piece.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Surely, that is not an actual commercial, its just a film made to specific purpose, or project.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...ial-conscience

The ad can be seen on the Chrysler Web site -- www.chrysler.com -- and will air today on FOX News' "O'Reilly Report," "Hannity's America," and "On the Record with Greta," and on Bloomberg's "Market Today."

Maybe it won't run long... we can only hope. ???
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
The StraightShooter

WoW-I am totally speechless. Whats next, urban themed commercials with stripped down Nitros on cinder blocks in front of a brick backdrop with the words "FREE MUMIA" in graffiti? lol
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post

Don't feel bad, after I read your post I thought, "possum must be right, that would explain it..." Then I read CL's post.

Here's another news report that attempts to explain the logic behind the campaign - click here The reporter ends the story with the following -"Will it sell cars? We will see."

I think we already know the answer to that question....
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
DealerEx

It may very well be watched by millions of people, but I doubt that more than a few of those seeing it will even realize it was a "car commercial". And the ones that do will probably say "Huh? WTF was that all about?" As a former Ad Board member, I'm familiar with the concept of "image ads" to try and position a brand or model, but I don't think the time for it is when the whole market is in the toilet. Right now they need to be trying to sell the product itself...to anyone and everyone.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Ralph

I was shocked when I was sent the link. I didn't believe it. I didn't believe it after I saw it...nor when i saw it on the website. And I refuse to believe this is where we're going as a company. Dear me, I thought I had seen every stupid thing in the industry already...I guess I'm just a naive fool. LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
Right now they need to be trying to sell the product itself...to anyone and everyone.
I couldn't agree more.

In fact, a crisis like the one Chrysler is experiencing is supposed to provide focus and clarity - a return to the basics.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
CL Pgh

This paragraph was from Automotive News and accompanied the announcement of our current “aggressive” incentives from 11-20:

'Aggressive' ad campaign
Chrysler also is creating what it termed an “aggressive” ad campaign. “This campaign's intent is aimed at driving a message on product, features and accolades into the marketplace and traffic into your showroom,” the company said in a message to dealers. “The residual effect of the campaign will also let the public know that Chrysler is alive and well.”

Sure hope they get this launched asap!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Default AutoExtremist weighs in....

Here's a quote from Peter De Lorenzo regarding the new 300 ads:

Peter DeLorenzo, founder of Autoextremist.com and a former BBDO creative on Dodge, called the new work from the Italian ad agency "patently absurd." He said, "I'm sure the hundreds of people from BBDO who are being blown out the door are going to just love this, not to mention the U.S. taxpayer." If Chrysler was bent on social causes, the brand should have contributed to food banks in the region surrounding its suburban-Detroit headquarters. "At least there would be a shred of relevance in that gesture."

Here's a link to the story that appeared in Advertising Age - click here
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Ralph

.......I shake my head...............................
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Smile They love the ad over at Allpar.com

As I've stated before, I think Allpar's a great site for reviewing future product but sometimes the members there are so pro-Chrysler that they have zero objectivity.

Not surprisingly, most of the members at Allpar think the new ads for the Chrysler 300 are awesome. One member even indicated that it was the first time he ever had a lump in his throat while watching a car commercial. (Try telling that to your banker while you're scraping together another mortgage payment.)

To be clear, I'm not ragging on Allpar - I like their site. I just think it shows what can happen to executives who surround themselves with "yes-men" - it's pretty easy to lose sight of reality.