Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football - 2012

College Football is back for 2012 and so far my University of Washington Huskies are off to a good start with a win over San Diego State University.

While the Huskies look like they've made major strides with their defense from last year's disaster, they'll need to sharpen their game if they want to compete against LSU next week. On the plus side, UW's quarterback, Keith Price, played a great game and looks like he's already in mid-season form.

On a side note, I noticed the NCAA added a new rule this year that I really like - the referees will require that any player who loses his helmet during a live ball has to sit out the next play. Hopefully this will cut down on the number of helmets that tend to fly off during a game.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Hoping for a Husky miracle....

The UW Huskies play at LSU today and kick-off is only a couple of hours away.

While a Husky win would be awesome, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high. I just hope they play well. I've got the Tivo set and I think I'll order a pizza from Papa Johns and watch the game later tonight.

On a side note, for those who like Papa John's pizza they have a great deal going on where you can get a FREE pizza if you order a pizza for $10 or more via the Internet or smartphone. For me, I'll order a $10 pizza tonight and use the Promo Code "NBCPAPA" and then I'll receive bonus points that will allow me to order a FREE pizza between tomorrow and 09/30/12.

I used to be loyal to Domino but now find I prefer Papa John's and a chance to get two pizzas for $5 each is too good to pass up.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
DealerEx

"Rah Rah TCU" TCU came out smoking in their season opener against Grambling in the newly renovated stadium. 49-0 at half time...Coach Patterson let clock run out with team in scoring position at end of first half then put in all backup players the second half to try and keep from running it up. It was 110th win for Patterson making him the winningest coach ever for TCU...great Coach and a Class Act as well.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
AR2

Well, it looks like the University of Illinois Fighting Illini didn't get it done last night against Arizona State. I was hoping the Tim Beckman era would get off to a great start, but it appears that reaility is 1-1. They should win next win, but that is not guaranteed. I guess this is what a rebuilding year looks like.

Now, when college basketball starts, I will be more excited. Illinois should do better there.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The UW Huskies play at LSU today and kick-off is only a couple of hours away.

While a Husky win would be awesome, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high. I just hope they play well. I've got the Tivo set and I think I'll order a pizza from Papa Johns and watch the game later tonight.
Well, at least the pizza was good.....

The Huskies never had a chance (and really didn't play that well) and lost to LSU with a score of 41 - 3. LSU is a great football team and the Huskies simply aren't at that level - yet.

The Huskies should have a bit of a breather this week as they play Portland State at home and then they have four ranked opponents in a row - not an easy way to start the season.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
"Rah Rah TCU" TCU came out smoking in their season opener against Grambling in the newly renovated stadium. 49-0 at half time...Coach Patterson let clock run out with team in scoring position at end of first half then put in all backup players the second half to try and keep from running it up. It was 110th win for Patterson making him the winningest coach ever for TCU...great Coach and a Class Act as well.
I agree that it was a classy move for Patterson to take measures to keep from running up the score. With the BCS "black box" ranking system I think a lot of coaches would be tempted to run up the score in hopes of a higher ranking.

I was reading about a local High School football game in Arizona where both coaches agreed to a running clock in the second half to speed up the game and keep the game from being a compete blow-out. In some conferences in Arizona I think it's part of the rules that games where one team has a 42+ point advantage the clock runs without being stopped in the fourth quarter.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Well, it looks like the University of Illinois Fighting Illini didn't get it done last night against Arizona State. I was hoping the Tim Beckman era would get off to a great start, but it appears that reaility is 1-1. They should win next win, but that is not guaranteed. I guess this is what a rebuilding year looks like.

Now, when college basketball starts, I will be more excited. Illinois should do better there.
Sorry about the loss but I have to admit I was rooting for ASU.

ASU has a new head coach and they are one of several teams in the PAC-12 that are working hard to rebuild their programs.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Lakeshow

We've been dealing with this all off season...http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/0...est=latestnews

I'm just glad the season started and we actually get to play football. Not a bad start at 1-1 considering our starting star QB was kicked off the team the week fall practice started.

X- We have the Huskies on our schedule in 2017, hopefully we still have a program.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
We've been dealing with this all off season...http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/0...est=latestnews

I'm just glad the season started and we actually get to play football. Not a bad start at 1-1 considering our starting star QB was kicked off the team the week fall practice started.
Wow, those are some significant "off the field" distractions.

I agree that the comparison to Penn State isn't fair and hopefully the NCAA will take that into consideration if they decide to impose sanctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
X- We have the Huskies on our schedule in 2017, hopefully we still have a program.
I hope everything gets sorted out too and we get a chance to watch a Husky/Griz match-up.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Smile A Husky victory over Portland State - 52 to 13

OK, Portland State may not be a powerhouse team but it was still great to see the Huskies play a decent game and secure a resounding victory.

The Huskies have a bye this week and then play Stanford on a Thrusday Night game. Stanford just upset #2 USC and they'll be tough. Hopefully the bye this Saturday will give the Huskies enough time to prepare for Stanford and heal some of their injured players.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default The Huskies have a bye this week

With the Huskies having the week off it makes it easy for me to head to the Barrett-Jackson Auction without thinking I'm missing the game.

While the Huskies have a bye today I'm sure they won't be taking the day off. The Huskies face Stanford this coming Thursday and Stanford will be bursting with confidence after beating #2 USC last week. It will be a tough game.

To the rest of the College Football fans out there I hope your favorite team plays well today.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Default Four Pac 12 Teams in the Top 25

With my quick Road Trip to Vegas I didn't have a chance to watch much football this weekend but I was happy to see Oregon advance to #2 in the polls.

While I'm not an Oregon fan I do like to see the Pac 12 have a strong showing in the Top 25. This week there are four Pac 12 teams among the Top 25: Oregon, Stanford, USC and Oregon State. Oregon State made it to the Top 25 after upsetting UCLA and dropping them out of the Top 25.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Huskies upset #8 Ranked Stanford.....

Holy smokes, what a game.

While I was hoping for a great game I never thought the Huskies would end up beating #8 Stanford. Stanford's tough and the Huskies are riddled with injuries that clearly gave Stanford the upper hand in terms of defensive and offensive linemen.

An amazingly, the Huskies beat Stanford 17 - 13. It's the first time the Huskies have beat a Top 10 team since they beat USC back in 2009.

That's why I love College Football - on any given day an underdog can pick-off a ranked team and reshuffle the Top 20 Rankings.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Holy smokes, what a game.
I was thinking about you this morning on the way into work when I heard about the game. Quite frankly... I didn't watch a single play thinking it would be a blow-out. I think this 4th major upset already and the seaon is still young.

Good for you & your Huskies!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Quite frankly... I didn't watch a single play thinking it would be a blow-out. I think this 4th major upset already and the seaon is still young.
I think almost everyone was expecting a blow-out and there wasn't too much interest in the game. Even the Husky faithful were not in full attendance - there were only about 50,000 people at the stadium.

Concerning the stadium, the Huskies are playing their Home Games at the Seahawks stadium (Century Link Field) this year because Husky Stadium is under renovation. When you think back to the Monday Night game between the Seahawks and Packers and now the Huskies upsetting Stanford, I'm guessing there are a lot of people who watched their wager go up in smoke at Century Link Field in the past week.