Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Rod Barajas

Question Crazy requests as of late

What is the craziest customer you have seen this year?
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I guess that I was lucky, most of the customers that I worked with were pretty normal.

The ones that would surprise me, though, were the ones that knew they could never buy a car and yet they still came to the dealership and wasted everyone's time.

The salesperson would get all excited thinking they've got a deal and as soon as you run a credit report you'd see that there wasn't a prayer. One quick glance at the "Inquiries" and you could tell that the customer had been to half the dealers in town.

I could never figure out what would motivate someone to do that?

I think that's one of the reasons why sales turnover is so high - it doesn't take too many customers like that to kill a salesperson's morale.

Anyone else have some customer stories?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Rod Barajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I guess that I was lucky, most of the customers that I worked with were pretty normal.

The ones that would surprise me, though, were the ones that knew they could never buy a car and yet they still came to the dealership and wasted everyone's time.

The salesperson would get all excited thinking they've got a deal and as soon as you run a credit report you'd see that there wasn't a prayer. One quick glance at the "Inquiries" and you could tell that the customer had been to half the dealers in town.

I could never figure out what would motivate someone to do that?

I think that's one of the reasons why sales turnover is so high - it doesn't take too many customers like that to kill a salesperson's morale.

Anyone else have some customer stories?
I had a customer use a black light before he purchased a 750Li....He was looking for "love stains"
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
bluechevrolet

The pat on the behind and bottle of wine I got from a Canadian who bought a truck on ebay from me.

He flew in and drove home. The thanks I got was a pat on the butt and a bottle of wine!
bluechevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I heard a story from a Sales Manager in Alaska who had a "boogery" bearded guy walk in and want to purchase an Aveo with cash. But it required going back to his secured and highly fortified home in the Alaska wilderness to dig up a box full of gold, take it down to Anchorage to sell it and use the funds to buy the Aveo.

Before the Sales Manager was allowed into the compound, certain "security" features had to be de-activated specifically dealing with his son not shooting him with a shotgun as soon as he got on the property.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

The car business really does bring out some "colorful" people.

It's never been easy working with the General Public and I think that most would agree that it seems to be getting harder every day.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
little_bank_robber

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!

I have not had too weird of a customer yet. I guess they're all a little wierd in one way or another.

'A pat on the behind'?!?! Are you kidding me? In this day and age???

I have gotten many gifts from customers and many hugs, but a pat on the behind? HA

Anna
little_bank_robber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post
Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!

I have not had too weird of a customer yet. I guess they're all a little wierd in one way or another.

'A pat on the behind'?!?! Are you kidding me? In this day and age???

I have gotten many gifts from customers and many hugs, but a pat on the behind? HA

Anna
I guess some of our customers must be living in the past.

On the plus side, I've worked with some really cool customers that helped make-up for some of the more challenging ones.