Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Ford > Sales

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Ford pressuring rural dealers to close or consolidate?

Given the rebounding sales for the auto industry overall and the strength of the Ford brand and product line in particular, I was surprised when I read that Westside Ford in Firebaugh, CA was going to close their dealership. For the full report - click here

When I read the article, the following excerpt caught my attention:
The inventory of Ford cars and trucks will be combined with Santos' other dealership, Santos Ford in Los Banos, about 30 miles to the northwest.

"It's Ford's choice what they want to do, and I'm kind of stuck with it," Santos said Tuesday.

While Ford did not order him to close the Firebaugh dealership, Santos said the company made it clear that it would be more supportive of his business if the two dealerships were combined.
As many of the OLDCO GM and Chrysler dealers can attest, fighting with the factory can have repercussions and Santos' decision to close his smaller dealership probably made sense in the bigger scheme of things.

Is Ford trying to reduce their dealer count by closing smaller stores? Is this happening in other markets or is it unique to California?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Is Ford trying to reduce their dealer count by closing smaller stores? Is this happening in other markets or is it unique to California?
I did some digging with Google and it doesn't appear there have been any other Ford Dealerships which have shut down recently.

There was one report about a Lincoln Dealership in Orland Park, IL that closed but that appeared to be the dealer's choice given his struggle to support a single-point Lincoln store. (Terry's Lincoln in Orland Park closing down)

Ford did lose 17 stores in California during the 2008 - 2009 industry meltdown. For a link to that thread - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote