Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Dealership Closed - Champion Ford - Boulder, CO

A local newspaper reports that Champion Ford quietly closed their doors last week. It was so quiet, in fact, that even the Investigators at the Colorado Auto Industry Division were bewildered by the closure.

An employee at a nearby Saab Dealership reported that all of the cars and trucks were moved "in the middle of the night."

Champion Ford began operations in March, 2005 when they purchased the Dealership from John Elway Ford.

There was no report as to what will happen with the franchise or the location.

Here's a link to the newspaper report: http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan...-closes-doors/

Can any of the Colorado Dealers provide more information?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Rod Barajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
A local newspaper reports that Champion Ford quietly closed their doors last week. It was so quiet, in fact, that even the Investigators at the Colorado Auto Industry Division were bewildered by the closure.

An employee at a nearby Saab Dealership reported that all of the cars and trucks were moved "in the middle of the night."

Champion Ford began operations in March, 2005 when they purchased the Dealership from John Elway Ford.

There was no report as to what will happen with the franchise or the location.

Here's a link to the newspaper report: http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan...-closes-doors/

Can any of the Colorado Dealers provide more information?
Wow...Now that's what you call fly by night!
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Barajas View Post
Wow...Now that's what you call fly by night!
Well, at least he didn't use the Dealership's American Express Card to generate $4+ Million in capital like the Dealer in this thread: http://www.dealershipforum.com/forum...read.php?t=173

I'm hoping that one of the Dealers in Colorado will provide us with more information concerning Champion Ford. How many Ford Dealers were there in Boulder? Is the Economy really that bad?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Rod Barajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Well, at least he didn't use the Dealership's American Express Card to generate $4+ Million in capital like the Dealer in this thread: http://www.dealershipforum.com/forum...read.php?t=173

I'm hoping that one of the Dealers in Colorado will provide us with more information concerning Champion Ford. How many Ford Dealers were there in Boulder? Is the Economy really that bad?
I gots to get me a American Expess Card ASAP!
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
okcarl
Lotus Factory Guy

I just heard that Champion is going to open a Kia store there, since their Kia store here in Greeley has been doing so well.
okcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the update.

Kia replacing a Domestic store - that's been happening a lot lately.

Are there other Ford Stores in Boulder or is it a single point town? I thought I read that Champion was the only Ford Dealer and I always thought that Boulder was a pretty good size city.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I believe this is the only Ford store in Boulder, but there is a big Ford store down the road in Broomfield.

You're right, Boulder is a good sized city. But, Boulder isn't much of a Ford market. All I see is Audi's and BMW's when I venture up there.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
okcarl
Lotus Factory Guy

The Boulder market is very similar to Cali. The customers are very informed and are into the whole green thing. This does not plat into Fords marketing plan.
okcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
TURK

You could make a ton of money selling 10-15 year old Volvos and VWs in Boulder out of the same location.

One of the weirder places in our country, right behind Berkeley CA.
TURK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURK View Post
You could make a ton of money selling 10-15 year old Volvos and VWs in Boulder out of the same location.

One of the weirder places in our country, right behind Berkeley CA.
That's an awesome assessment of the market.....

There's a Subaru Dealer here in the Seattle area that's running a commercial that offers to plant a tree for every test drive. The tag line at the end of the commercial is "You and Carter Subaru, on the road to Carbon Neutral."

I think it's brilliant. There are tons of "tree-huggers" in the Seattle area and a Subaru fits the demographic.

Just like Boulder, life's a lot easier when you're selling what the customer wants to buy.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Thumbs up You heard it here first...

It seems that there's no question that Carl has the "inside word" on what's happening in the Colorado marketplace.

Here's a story about the new Kia Dealership opening in the facility vacated by Champion Ford: http://www.bcbr.com/article.asp?id=91803
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Default Well that didn't last too long....

I just read that the KIA Dealership that took over the former Champion Ford location has closed - they were only open for business for nine month.

Here's a link to the news report: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...ip-hits-skids/

There's no question that this is a tough time to be in the car business - it seems like there's a never-ending series of stories where a dealer's dream has been lost with the closing of another dealership.