Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Interesting Price Action for Lithia's Stock (LAD) over the past five days

I don't track the stock prices of the public dealer groups as carefully as I used to but I couldn't help notice the volatility in Lithia's shares over the past five days.

Lithia tripped two triggers over the past five days. On September 12th it was on the list of the Top 10 NYSE stocks with the greatest increase in volume and on September 13th it was on the list of the Top 10 NYSE stocks with the greatest percentage increase in share price.

Here's a graph that shows Lithia's price action for the last five days:

The stock went from $16.50 to below $14.00 and back to $16.50 in the span of five days - those are some big moves.

I also highlighted the chart with a red box showing the spike in volume that occurred when Lithia's shares were trading at their lowest. I wonder if someone was selling a large position or whether the volume came from multiple traders?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I hated being invested in Lithia stock as an employee just for this reason. The flux in price month over month was insane!

Maybe a big mutual fund was divesting LAD stock. I remember a lot of Lithia's stock was owned institutionally.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Maybe a big mutual fund was divesting LAD stock. I remember a lot of Lithia's stock was owned institutionally.
That's entirely possible. It appears the big volume sell-off followed the day after the stock closed below $15/share. I've read that institutional traders often trade with that level of discipline and ignor other factors. Once the sell-off was over the stock began to recover.

I don't know who dumped their shares at the bottom of the market but it must have to be hard to watch the stock fully recover within 48 hours.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Lithia (LAD) made the list of the Top 10 Percentage Gainers again

Lithia's stock continued its strong rebound and was on yesterday's list of the Top 10 NYSE stocks with the highest percentage gain in share price.

Lithia's shares closed up another $0.29 today with a final price of $17.09.