Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business This is the place where it happens

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Unhappy Almost 10% of U.S. Mortgages are 90+ days past due

Not that I like reporting bad news, but I was amazed when I read that 9.54% of all mortgages in the U.S. are at least 90 days past due. What's worse is recent history indicates that only 5% of them are likely to remedy themselves - the other 95% are headed for short sales and foreclosures.

In 2005, 66% of mortgage holders who were 60 days past due "cured" their mortgage and caught up on their payments. Today that figure is only 5%. For the full report - click here

Again, I'm not a pessimistic person but I also try to be a realist. If one in ten mortgages end up going to foreclosure that's going to put a lot of pressure on home prices which will make a recovery in auto sales even more challenging.

Is your dealership seeing an increase in the number of customers with recent foreclosures? Have you found any solutions to getting these deals bought?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default Zillow's predicting a "L-shaped" recovery

I read a report today where one expert was predicting that housing prices would be 12% higher in five years and an analyst from Zillow.com thought that was too optimistic. He predicted a "L-shaped" recovery.

Now I've heard of "V-shaped" "U-shaped" and even "W-shaped" recoveries, but the prospect of a "L-shaped" recovery is just depressing.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
CarguyCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 260
Default

Backwards "L"?
Now that would be nice
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
JUNIOR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 108
Default

I have noticed a lot of people that had good credit 3 years ago, who now have leases maturing, and they have gone bad. I have seen more foreclosures and chargeoffs on credit reports. I just recently had a guy who was in foreclosure that owed about $40,000 and I couldn't get him approved until he was all caught up and up to date. He did pay it up and got approved. Every other one has not gotten a approval. I think the banks avaoid them like kryptonite.
JUNIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
Backwards "L"?
Now that would be nice
I like that. Maybe that will happen with my stocks too.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIOR View Post
Every other one has not gotten a approval. I think the banks avaoid them like kryptonite.
It will be interesting to see who the first bank or OEM is that targets these customers. There have to be millions of people in the U.S. that have charge-offs and foreclosures - someone's going to end up selling these people cars.

I've read that 75% is supposed to be a significant psychological level for homeowners with a mortgage. If the value of their home drops below 75% of their mortgage they tend to walkaway - even if they have solid jobs and the ability to pay.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA DMV FEES DUE - Does this impact out-of-state purchases? XDCX Automotive Discussions 10 10-10-2013 12:36 PM
Interesting Price Action for Lithia's Stock (LAD) over the past five days XDCX Automotive Discussions 3 09-15-2011 03:15 PM
No Payments For 90 Days.......Sounds like the old days. steve_biegler Automotive Discussions 1 08-15-2011 10:49 AM
Chrysler to second-shift '11 GC in mid-July due to strong dealer orders XDCX Sales 7 05-24-2010 10:43 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016