Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default Ad in Automotive News: Chrysler Insurance Terminated?

I was reading through the Classified Section of Automotive News and noticed an ad with the following header - Chrysler Insurance Terminated? The ad appears to be from a Law Firm from Ohio and they're looking for dealers who have had their Dealer Term Insurance canceled.

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure I know what they're talking about - Is this the Term Life Insurance Policy that dealer principals could buy through Chrysler Insurance?

Is Chrysler Insurance part of Chrysler LLC or are they part of Chrysler Financial?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
DealerEx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 528
Default

yes, that is what it is...term life insurance for the dealer principal. The program has been around for years. It is actually administered and underwritten by Prudential Insurance. It's a group policy with set term rates according to age bracket. I had it in force the whole time I was a dealer, and when I sold out in 2005, I was allowed to convert it over to a Prudential policy with the same rates and benefits. I suspect that in the chaos that occurred last summer quite a few dealers probably forgot all about the policy until after the lapse/conversion date had passed. Just a guess, but I know it would have been pretty far down my list of things to worry about under the circumstances.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
DealerEx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 528
Default

another thought...it could be that Chrysler Insurance screwed Prudential in some way during the bankruptcy...not paying some administrative costs/fees...not forwarding dealer payments or something and Prudential just terminated the whole deal and the dealers got caught in the crossfire.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
yes, that is what it is...term life insurance for the dealer principal. The program has been around for years. It is actually administered and underwritten by Prudential Insurance. It's a group policy with set term rates according to age bracket. I had it in force the whole time I was a dealer, and when I sold out in 2005, I was allowed to convert it over to a Prudential policy with the same rates and benefits. I suspect that in the chaos that occurred last summer quite a few dealers probably forgot all about the policy until after the lapse/conversion date had passed. Just a guess, but I know it would have been pretty far down my list of things to worry about under the circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
another thought...it could be that Chrysler Insurance screwed Prudential in some way during the bankruptcy...not paying some administrative costs/fees...not forwarding dealer payments or something and Prudential just terminated the whole deal and the dealers got caught in the crossfire.
Thanks for the information.

I'll send the Law Firm an e-mail and see if I can get some more details. My only thought was Chrysler Insurance was canceling Life Insurance policies they knew would be difficult to re-new.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
3rdgenchry
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 50
Default

Prudential Insurance changed my policy a few years back to just them. It seems they dropped Chrylser
3rdgenchry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
survivor
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

the ad does cover the issue of prudential cancelling the policies because they claimed non-payment from the dealers. i have proof they cashed the check, and then cancelled the policy. they are totally disorganized and probably have done the same to other chrysler dealers. prudential has stonewalled answers and chrysler is not cooperating in any way. many dealers have depended on this insurance in estate planning and to be dropped like a hot potato is unfair and perhaps illegal. i think all terminated chrysler/jeep/dodge dealers must investigage their coverages.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

I have a policy through them and have been trying to get it increased for about a month. Every time I call I just get pushed from one person to the next and can't get a dam thing done.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor View Post
the ad does cover the issue of prudential cancelling the policies because they claimed non-payment from the dealers. i have proof they cashed the check, and then cancelled the policy. they are totally disorganized and probably have done the same to other chrysler dealers. prudential has stonewalled answers and chrysler is not cooperating in any way. many dealers have depended on this insurance in estate planning and to be dropped like a hot potato is unfair and perhaps illegal. i think all terminated chrysler/jeep/dodge dealers must investigage their coverages.
survivor - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum

Thanks for sharing your information. The cool thing about the forum is if something is happening to one dealer, it's probably happening to others and the forum allows dealers to share their experiences.

I'll add this topic to the next Blast FAX I send and we'll try to find other dealers who have had the same problem with Chrysler Insurance and Prudential.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenchry View Post
Prudential Insurance changed my policy a few years back to just them. It seems they dropped Chrylser
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
I have a policy through them and have been trying to get it increased for about a month. Every time I call I just get pushed from one person to the next and can't get a dam thing done.
Just looking for clarification - Is Chrysler Insurance still active or have they transferred all their accounts to Prudential?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

So far as I know mine is through the Chrysler program, but when I get a bill it is straight from Prudential.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
akmk
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Mine is also through the Chrysler program and I have always paid Prudential direct. I have seen no interruption in the billing since the BK.
akmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmk View Post
I have seen no interruption in the billing since the BK.
Nor have I, just really crappy service.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
survivor
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

after intense conversations with prudential, they agreed to offer the same coverage to myself as before the chrysler b.r. actions. in essence, prudential took my money, cashed the check, the check cleared but they denied they had a policy with myself.

to date they have not refunded any money they denied they have received. i made payment on another, new policy to maintain coverage. if you have depended on this policy for estate planning, caution is necessary. keep all your documents and proof of payment! your beneficiaries may not be aware of this mess.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor View Post
after intense conversations with prudential, they agreed to offer the same coverage to myself as before the chrysler b.r. actions. in essence, prudential took my money, cashed the check, the check cleared but they denied they had a policy with myself.

to date they have not refunded any money they denied they have received. i made payment on another, new policy to maintain coverage. if you have depended on this policy for estate planning, caution is necessary. keep all your documents and proof of payment! your beneficiaries may not be aware of this mess.
Thanks for the update - I'm pleased to hear it sounds like you're on the path to getting the problem solved.

Concerning Estate Planning, you make an excellent point. With the return of the "Death Tax" I'm sure more dealers will have to decide if life insurance is a useful tool to minimize the tax obligation of their heirs.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

I think I may change to another company anyway, I am still having trouble with them.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive News has copies of two Arbitration Decisions XDCX Automotive Discussions 2 05-24-2010 12:13 PM
Marchionne's interview in Automotive News XDCX Sales 11 12-09-2009 08:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016