Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
InBloom94

Default Amazon

Well it looks like the General strikes again...just had an employee from one of our sister stores that is basically an accessory center call and say that one of his customers wanted and I quote... "a genuine GM part''...he gave me the part# which the customer had already given him...part#23146899 tie down loop pkg....he wanted to know our price on it...I told him it listed for $100.00 and that I would let him have it for 15% over cost, he informed me that it was $51.85 on amazon with free shipping...all I could do was just apologize. It costs us $75 from ADI alone! I know it's nothing new, happens all the time but still disheartening and just had to vent my frustrations, have a nice weekend everyone.
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
steve_biegler

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Acces...words=23146899

Yep, sold by U-Haul truck parts. Pretty unbelievable. The Ivory tower just does not get it or does not care......probably both. The customer will never believe you no matter what you say. It is very disheartening. Not sure really what you can do to change it.

Last edited by steve_biegler; 03-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
InBloom94

Exactly, basically boils down to a customer or even an employee of a non GM store can actually get it significantly cheaper than I can even order it from GM...ridiculous all the way around!
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
jayhawk

iv'e always believed all manufacturers cant wait for the day when the hoods are sealed and there are no longer trade ins, so there will be no more franchised dealers. don't see that happening soon, at least in the center of the country however. hope we can survive another couple of decades at least.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
possum

jayhawk is exactly right, and I too have said for years that the "Factory" hates the Dealer Network, and will dump them all asap.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
zep33

GM sucks hairy balls
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
chevrolet857

Just ran up again this on numerous accessories. Race to the bottom on this and with accessory sales part of EBE now, makes it very tough
chevrolet857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
jayhawk is exactly right, and I too have said for years that the "Factory" hates the Dealer Network, and will dump them all asap.
YEP !! If they could figure out a way to handle the trade-ins and service they'd close every dealer down in a heartbeat--been that way for years. Ford tried to do it with "The Ford Collection" in the 90's when they bought out the metro stores in Salt Lake City, Rochester NY, Tulsa and Oklahoma City. and got their asses handed to them by the dealers surrounding the metro areas they bought out. They pulled the plug on it after about 18 months. The practice of selling parts and vehicles outside the dealer network at lower prices has been going on since back in the 70's (maybe before, but that's when I first started in a franchised dealership). The manufacturer's fleet departments would sell to the rental car companies cheaper than the dealers could buy the cars for. It became a hot button issue at the annual meetings every year, but the factory execs would just nod their heads and keep right on doing it. I was in Detroit in 1983 going through GM's Dealer Candidate School, and was eating lunch at the same table as GM's Fleet Division National Manager after he had spoken to the class that morning.
We were discussing the issue, and presenting the Dealer's viewpoint that NO ONE should be able to buy the vehicles for less than the dealers because the dealers were the ones that had the investment in the facilities, the training, the equipment and special tools, and the FRANCHISE. He said that was just the way it had always been done and always would be done. I mentioned that TADA (Texas Auto Dealer's Association) was getting a bill pushed thru committee to make it illegal for them to do so. He laughed and said "You dealers can pass all the laws you want, but it won't change a thing--we'll just give'em the money under the table and they'll still be buying them cheaper than you and there's not damn thing you can do about it." Then he got up and tossed his napkin on the table and left. There were some muttered remarks about various parts of the anatomy, but we all realized that he was right. They didn't care what the dealers thought--they would do whatever they pleased.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote