Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
okcarl
Lotus Factory Guy

Default JM&A Southest Toyota Lays off 500

Just read this article in Automotive news. JM&A/Southeast Toyota allways bragged that they had never layed off an employee. I guess the times they are a changing. Even though they have the number one sales area in the country they are still feeling that 40% drop in sales. The start of the article is below. 500 Employees may not sound like much but their total workforce was not over 5000 employees so this cut amounted to just over 10%.
I remember sitting in our annual sales meeting when the Southeast Toyota guys would present and they would talk about how they could never get enough cars from Toyota and how fast they were growing. It is amazing how quickly fortunes can change.

JM Family Enterprises Inc., owner of the distributor that accounts for 16 percent of Toyota sales in the United States, has dismissed 500 employees because of the shrinking auto market.

For those of you who do not know who Southeast Toyota is they are the largest independent distributor of Toyota's in the world. They have been a distributor since the sixties and run their own port facilities where the cars come in from Toyota. They also run their own processing facility where leather, wheels, etc. are installed on the vehicles before being sent to the dealers. They also distribute their own parts, sell their own service contract and have their own finance company. They are essentially a mini Toyota here in the states.
okcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I saw that headline and was surprised too.

JM&A is a huge, successful, vibrant company and if they decide to layoff 10% of their employees it definitely sends a signal about their vision of the future. Clearly they have the cash to ride out the storm, my guess is they don't see sales volumes returning to 2007 levels anytime soon so they made the hard decision to layoff employees.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Gulf States Toyota is another example of a Toyota distributor. I wonder how they are doing?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Gulf States Toyota is another example of a Toyota distributor. I wonder how they are doing?
That's a great question. I checked Google News and didn't find any stories about Gulf States Toyota for the past 30 days.

It's possible they may be downsizing too, it's just not newsworthy because their organization is smaller than JM&A?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I'm headed to a Gulf States location this week, so I'll find out.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I'm headed to a Gulf States location this week, so I'll find out.
I'm envious.

There's snow in the forecast here in Western Washington and there's just something about "Gulf States" that sounds warm.

I hope that you have a great trip and get to enjoy some warm weather.