Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy 20+ Mile Tow-in on Lake Mead - New Personal Record...

I guess it's time to cut my vacation short and get back to Seattle and go to work...

I was on Lake Mead yesterday and my SeaDoo RXP broke down when I was over 20 miles away from the launching site. Twenty miles never seems that far when you're flying by at 65 MPH, but it's a super long distance when you're being towed in at 5 - 7 MPH.

I've had boats and PWCs for years and this is the first break-down I've ever had. I guess I must be making up for my prior good fortune?

It appears the main bearing in the supercharger housing failed and dumped debris into the oil sump. The debris was picked up by the oil pump and the oil pump housing cracked dumping oil into the bilge.

I'm pretty frustrated because the ski only has 140 hours and it looks like this is going to be an expensive repair.

On the plus side, it could have been a lot worse. I broke down in a very busy area and managed to get towed in by a boat that was towing in another break-down. Two broken boats being towed in at the same time must have looked pretty pathetic.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

You could have swam that distance! Glad to hear your safe.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
CL Pgh

OUCH!!! Dang X-Man, hate to hear that! No real short-cut on that repair but hopefully you can find someone that'll help you out w/parts and/or labor cost's. The outdrive on my boat decided to self destruct about 15ml from the marina 2 summers back... we tow'd her in with my ski's. Not fun.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
You could have swam that distance! Glad to hear your safe.
The irony is about ten minutes before the failure I was swimming in the lake. The water was glass smooth and about 85 degrees on the surface.

That said, I think if I tried to swim-in with my ski it tow I'd still be there.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
OUCH!!! Dang X-Man, hate to hear that! No real short-cut on that repair but hopefully you can find someone that'll help you out w/parts and/or labor cost's. The outdrive on my boat decided to self destruct about 15ml from the marina 2 summers back... we tow'd her in with my ski's. Not fun.
I haven't decided what I'll do about repairs yet - I guess I'll have to figure out how extensive the damage is.

If I need an engine then the ski is pretty much shot - it's cheaper to just sell the ski for parts.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
F&I Pro

Xman, sounds like if it ain't bad luck, you wouldn't have any..
I hope the rest of your trip goes well
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&I Pro View Post
Xman, sounds like if it ain't bad luck, you wouldn't have any..
I hope the rest of your trip goes well
Truer words have never been spoken. I have had a string of misfortune that's lasted for a little over two year - I'm hoping the upswing lasts as long.

Concerning the rest of the trip, my trusty Jeep Wrangler was awesome and I'm now back at home where I can figure out what to do with my RXP.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
lsx only

wow we almost bought a rxp but we are were afraid of the supercharger
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
wow we almost bought a rxp but we are were afraid of the supercharger
That's a genuine concern, SeaDoo had a known product problem with their superchargers between 2004 - 2007. There is, however, a solution where you can change SeaDoo's ceramic washer to a steel washer and eliminate the problem. The downside is SeaDoo still expects the supercharger to be inspected and rebuilt every 100 hours. That can cost between $600 and $1200 - another expense to factor into your riding time.

Concerning my ski, I pulled the supercharger and it was in perfect condition. So were the spark plugs.

I don't know if it spun a bearing or just had an oil pump failure? I'll probably never know since I'm thinking about just selling the ski as-is or trading it in.

I'm still disappointed that a ski with only 140 hours would have this type of failure.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
CL Pgh

Get that ski replaced there X-Man! You (we all) need that “release” from the daily grind … and something to look forward too in the winter months after football is done.

For what it’s worth, my Yamaha’s have been great. (I’m knock’n on wood now) 300+ hrs on both and just batteries replaced. I’m crazy about staying on-top of maintenance… but I’d guess you’re the same with your equipment.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
F&I Pro

Xman, like CL said we all need a "release" mine's a Wide Glide on back country roads.....
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Get that ski replaced there X-Man! You (we all) need that “release” from the daily grind … and something to look forward too in the winter months after football is done.

For what it’s worth, my Yamaha’s have been great. (I’m knock’n on wood now) 300+ hrs on both and just batteries replaced. I’m crazy about staying on-top of maintenance… but I’d guess you’re the same with your equipment.
You've hit the nail right on the head.

I'd like to get another ski, but I've never owned anything other than a SeaDoo for the past eight years. (I have a "brand loyalty" problem...)

That said, I'm not sure I want another SeaDoo - I'm still pissed that an engine would fail at 140 hours. I sold my old ski that gave me over 220 hours of trouble free service because I was concerned about reliability since I almost always ride alone.

I know I'll eventually get another ski, I just might wait to see what the 2010 introductions have to offer.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&I Pro View Post
Xman, like CL said we all need a "release" mine's a Wide Glide on back country roads.....
That's a motorcycle, right?

I have to admit the first time I read "Wide Glide" I thought you were referring to a 1960s Pontiac GTO.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'd like to get another ski, but I've never owned anything other than a SeaDoo for the past eight years. (I have a "brand loyalty" problem...)
I’ve got friends with SeaDoo’s and like you… are very loyal to the brand. Sometimes I wonder if the companies we’re all loyal to, have the same attitude towards us!? Considering 8yrs of ownership and that type of engine failure after a 140hrs… I’d knock on SeaDoo’s door and check out their loyalty.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
possum

Wide Glide would be referring to a Harley, I'm sure. Thats what I ride most of the time, and will be making the annual pilgrimage to New Mexico in Sept for the "Golden Aspen Rally". I really want to think of something besides Chrysler! ( At least for a week )
possum is offline   Reply With Quote