Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default "Buy a car, get a check" - Joe Garagiola - R.I.P.

I was watching the local TV newscast last week and the announce crew commented about the passing of Joe Garagiola following the news story. While the sports anchor commented about Garagiola's career as an athlete and broadcaster, the other anchors commented that Garagiola will be remembered as a generous man who helped countless charities in Arizona and fought to bring attention to the dangers of tobacco use.

While there's no question that Joe Garagiola was a great man, I'll remember him first and foremost for his perfect delivery of the tag line - "Buy a car, get a check."

While I'm not old enough to have witnessed the birth of consumer rebates as an adult, I do remember watching those commercials as a kid. Who would have guessed that a simple $200 rebate offering would turned into the mess we have today...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Super Bowl IX

For those, like me, who were wondering when those immortal words were spoken, the answer is during a commercial in Super Bowl IX. (January 12, 1975)

Here's a excerpt of what I found with my Google Search:
Robert B. McCurry, Jr., former vice president of sales and marketing for Chrysler died almost three years ago. (This article was written in 2009)

So what?
Never heard of him?

Perhaps not directly, but because of a marketing ploy he developed more than 30 years ago, retail advertising has never been the same.

McCurry holds the dubious distinction of inventing the factory (or manufacturer’s) rebate.

The gimmick was originally introduced in a half-time TV commercial during Super Bowl IX. Former professional baseball player turned sports commentator turned advertising pitchman Joe Garagiola announced that those who purchased a brand new Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart would receive a $200 check directly from Chrysler.

“Buy a car, get a check,” Garagiola said, without one single wardrobe malfunction. It proved to be pure genius. Sales rocketed the very next day as Ford and GM scrambled to catch up.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default YouTube video of Chrysler Commercial

If you get a chance, here's a YouTube link to a video of one of Chrysler's commercials that captures that era - click here

Damn, those marketing gurus in Highland Park not only invented the rebate, it appears they were pioneers in using targeted incentives too.