Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Replacement Key for McGard Wheel Lock

I wanted to create a quick thread to give props to Adam from McGard LLC for helping me out with my missing McGard Wheel Lock Key.

For those who follow the forum you know that my Jeep Wrangler was stolen and I was fortunate to get it back. For more on that saga - click here

While I was fortunate to get my TJ back, there was some damage and almost all of the contents in my glove box and center console were stolen. Among the items stolen from my center console was the key to my McGard Wheel Locks.

I contacted a couple of local tire shops and they indicated they didn't have a master key set for McGard but they could remove (and destroy) the existing wheel locks for $8/wheel. I figured before I went that route I'd send a picture of my wheel lock to McGard Customer Service to see if they could identify the lock pattern based on the photograph.

I emailed the picture to csinfo@mcgard.com and received an immediate response from Adam. He advised me he felt he could identify the lock pattern from the picture but needed to verify the vehicle application before he could determine which key I needed. I advised him that I need the key for my TJ and Adam indicated he could send me a replacement key for $14.99 which included the shipping expense.

The key arrived about six days later and it fit perfectly. Props to Adam for his great detective skills and his excellent customer service.

I know there are a fair number of Parts Managers who read the forum and I imagine they get calls on a regular basis from customers who have lost their wheel lock keys. I wanted to share my positive experience with McGard Customer Service so our forum members would feel comfortable suggesting this alternative to their customers who need a replacement wheel lock key.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
zep33

That's good to know and I'll keep that in mind

thanks
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
That's good to know and I'll keep that in mind

thanks
I was impressed with the whole process. If I were a Parts Manager or Service Manager I'd certainly recommend this process to customers who are looking for a replacement McGard Lug Nut Key.

Concerning the picture, McGard was able to determine the correct key based on a picture I took of my lug nut with my Razr Maxx smartphone - it doesn't have to be a super high quality image.

Here's the picture I sent to McGard:

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
CL Pgh

Good info.!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote