Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Northwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
OutDrive.ca

Default What's the story with Tesla Motors?

Are the Tesla stores that have been popping up all owned by Tesla Motors, or are they dealership franchises like everyone else?
OutDrive.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDrive.ca View Post
Are the Tesla stores that have been popping up all owned by Tesla Motors, or are they dealership franchises like everyone else?
I just checked Wikipedia and confirmed that Tesla dealerships are factory owned. I recall reading an article last year where Tesla wanted to follow the Apple iStore concept and control the retail sale of their cars.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article - click here

I haven't followed Tesla too closely and I had mostly written them off until Toyota made an investment/partnership last year. Toyota's a very smart company with a long term focus, but I still don't think Tesla will be a volume manufacturer any time soon.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

A couple of weeks ago, I walked by the Tesla dealership in Boulder, CO. Four cars on the showroom floor, all marked "sold". Either that is a brilliant marketing plan to try to get people in the door or they are turning inventory relatively well.

It's a factory owned point. The car is made for a midget, but still a nice looking ride. Definitely just a trendy brand at this point.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
OutDrive.ca

I'll be curious to see if i can shoehorn myself into one comfortably @ 6'1''. Am heading to LA in May and hoping to book some testing with Tesla and Fisker. They seem to be selling well on the west coast. The closest dealer to us is in Seattle, and yet there are at least a half dozen that have made it across to Vancouver. Fisker is another interesting one that's been very on-again-off-again. Our dealership has a Fisker franchise lined up for Vancouver once production actually gets rolling.
OutDrive.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Saw my first Tesla yesterday

I was out for a walk and saw a car in the distance I couldn't quite recognize. It appeared to be a Toyota MR2 but the styling didn't seem right. Then I thought it might be a Pontiac Fiero with an aftermarket body-kit.

It was only when I got close enough to read the badging on the car that I determined it was a Tesla. Here's the picture I took:

It was a cool looking car but I doubt too many people would recognize it since there are so few on the road. I also thought it was interesting that the car was wearing Wisconsin license plates - that's a long way to drive an electric car.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote