Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy Chrysler Engineer passes away as a result of 2013 SRT Viper accident

News reports indicate that a Chrysler Engineer, Martin Morse, passed away from injuries he received while driving a 2013 SRT Viper. Here's a link to the report - click here

While I'm no safety engineer, in my opinion there was no reason this accident should have resulted in a fatality and I hope this accident places more focus on states that use "cable barriers" on major highways.

When I was living in Washington the State Transportation Department installed miles of cable barriers without any testing to determine their effectiveness. The cable barriers often failed to keep vehicles from crossing into opposing traffic and they're very dangerous to any motorcyclist who might come into contact with them.

I extend my sympathies to the family and friends of Mr. Morse - may he rest in peace.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
ssdd

Yes, as far as we know, this was the first accident involving a gen five viper. apparently he stopped on the entrance ramp and used the launch feature on the new car. the roads where wet. I assume the traction control stops working after a set speed and then the viper began to spin and he lost control. if you look at the picture, both front A pillars are cut and so is the drivers side B pillar. this leaves little to the imagination as to what happened to the driver...

they need to add one more lower cable or stick to guard rails.

I tell all of my guys vipers are a loaded gun and they should be handled as so.
RIP
S
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
Yes, as far as we know, this was the first accident involving a gen five viper. apparently he stopped on the entrance ramp and used the launch feature on the new car. the roads where wet. I assume the traction control stops working after a set speed and then the viper began to spin and he lost control.
Thanks for the information - I can see how the accident could have happened once the launch feature disengaged. On a wet road with all of that horsepower unleashed it would be hard to keep the vehicle on the pavement.

Quote:
...if you look at the picture, both front A pillars are cut and so is the drivers side B pillar. this leaves little to the imagination as to what happened to the driver...
I agree the picture is really disturbing and sad. I'm convinced the driver would be alive today if the state had used standard steel guardrails or a concrete Jersey-barrier.

Quote:
I tell all of my guys vipers are a loaded gun and they should be handled as so.
That's so true.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote