Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 06-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
ghostrider
Banned

Default Service Sales Dept.

Odd term isn't it. I am sure most of you guys are fighting to keep some business by pushing tires, belts, batteries, hoses, filters, etc.. Tough to build some gross on those items as margins are thin.

How many of you guys are agressive with fluids and related services? My dealer and the BG guy are best of personal friends and we have to push hard to sell it. The Life Time Warranty makes sense to alot of folks who keep their cars long term and the product is excellent but I don't think it is neccessary for most customers.

I perfer to sale service contracts on the drive, I push the Max Care from Chrysler. Usually push the 7/100 or a Life Time Max Care if applicable. I sell a contract, make $1000 easy quick service gross and now have a customer that will have most repairs covered for a long time. BTW, we also sell Fidelity Contracts in F&I, but I never have seen the Fidelity Guy so I keep pushing the CSC.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
ghostrider
Banned

Another point on this topic. I think the best part of any auto ownership is mile 0 to 100K, even though most folks trade in much sooner. Most cars have a 3/36 with the "bumper to bumper" coverage and usually a longer powertrain. If you push all the fluids for the Life Time Protection plan, that customer will spend about $1000.00 every 30K and about $1,000 on the LOFs (with the additive) , so that is roughly $4,000 to get them to 100K but leaves them w/out coverage past 3/36 except for any powertrain for fluid coverages.
A better plan IMO is sell them a contract for $3,000, do basic required maintenace per manufacture about $1000 should get to 100K and everything( well almost) is covered.
I think the second example makes for a happier customer...thoughts?
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
JoeRocket

We've done BG. Wynns, too. Every time we get a new Service Manager we change brands. I'm sure there's more at stake for them than just a warm, fuzzy feeling. One of them I know got a trip to Puerto Vallarta.

>shrug<

I don't really care as long as it moves off of my shelf and makes me some money......which happens for about the first month of the Service Manager and then it flatlines again. Looks like I'll be staring at this stuff for 2 years or so until this guy gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Hopefully the next guy likes the same brand. It's a royal pain in the a$$ to change all that crap out.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote