Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #61
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
We're a Chevy dealer and got the letter.
Sorry to hear that you received the letter.

There's been so much hardship expressed on this forum over the past couple of days that I haven't had a chance to keep up. On so many levels it's unfair, but who are you going to sue? There's no question that GM's going to follow Chrysler into Chapter 11 making them "Judgment Proof" too.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #62
crowe

It’s my understanding if you get a GM letter FedEx today you are toast & if you don’t get a letter your OK for now. Any truth to this?
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #63
danderson

We did not receive a letter. From what I understand, if you don't get a letter you are safe. Just listened to the media conference call and they said that there will NOT be a list like Chrysler. Since Chrysler is in BK it is a matter of public record. On the GM side Mark Laneve said that the only people that know all the names are him and his team and that is it. So.....I guess now the media speculation begins!!!!
danderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #64
gopwillie

Pretty sad that they aren't notifying 'good' dealers so we don't have to keep looking out the window for the FedEx truck
gopwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #65
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that GM intends to keep the list confidential - what the Chrysler dealers went through yesterday was brutal.

That said, you're right about media speculation. I'm sure they're writing their stories right now...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #66
F&I Pro

Just posted in the Automotive news, GM states that it will likely follow chrysler's lead if and when it files BK at the end of the month....my guess is that GM dealers receiving the bad news will find themselves in the same boat as listed Chrysler dealers...a lot sooner than renewal of franchise agreements
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #67
lsx only

42 years thanks gm for the good screwing
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #68
SWELLS40241

Just heard on the news that one of the local dealers here that was cut by Chrysler yesterday, got the same from GM today. What a way to end the week.
SWELLS40241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #69
dgale

Interesting who got booted off the island and who remained. I know of two nearby dealers that probably should have gotten the letter but didn't. One sells maybe 50 new per year and the other is on floor plan hold,while a dealer selling in excess of 450 units got the dreaded letter. The only reasoning I can see behind this decision is for these two dealers to be taken care of under round two with another dealer assuming their franchises. If GM was to terminate them and give another dealer their franchise they may be open to lawsuits and perhaps GM is hoping to do this under round two thereby expediting the time table for changes rather than 10.2010. Round two is to begin sometime around the end of June, with dealers being told that 1) they may have to relocate 2) may have to build new facilities or do image programs 3)buy out their nearest competitor or another point or add additional capital. Any one of these items may force a dealer into terminating. Time will tell. But what I have heard is that Chevy is the division that has taken the biggest hits. This may be to strenghten all remaining Chevy dealers when there is only Chevy Caddy. Who knows? Just plain crazy out there and remaining GM dealers still have plenty to worry about. Good luck to all surviviors.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #70
XGATOR

yea a dealer next to me (Chevy) received a letter asking how he planned to upgrade his facility, did not can him or anything, I am Chrysler and next door to him and I am ok with Chrysler, but I know for a fact he is a less than 100 a year new unit dealer...........15 minutes down the street is two 100 plus a month new unit dealers, yet one of them got the axe being GM..........wierd
XGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #71
Txflyer

I think most of the dealers are keeping mum on the subject. Including us, I'm only aware of 3 dealers in TX that received letter. Out of the number they sent I'd expect between 40-70 Texas dealers would have gotten them.

Several within 100 miles of us have said they got nothing, but I think they are lying.

Funny - we are in a town of about 9000. We are a Chevy dealer dualed with Chrysler (which I'm sure hurt us). 12 year old very nice facility (built at GM's insistence when we took over the dealership). Our techs are in the top ranks of certification and we have a very good relationship with our sales rep. We got the "bye bye" letter.

Our closest GM store is 2 miles away. Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick/GMC store. 50 year old building, less sales volume than us, less certified techs, lot clear across the highway from the showroom, bad service audit 2 years ago. The list of negatives goes on and on. They claim not to have gotten a letter.

Two days later and I'm still scratching my head.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #72
dgale

Just rewatched LaNeves weekly telecast. By is mathmatics another 400-800 dealers will be going in round two. I'm sure a good number of dealers are lying about their status, but I know in our area no one got the boot. Can't figure it out considering their trying to make everyone stronger. Not that I want to be the guy out, but in this market with the sale rate off 40% who's going to survive.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote