Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
JoeRocket

Default Disney training?

I caught a whiff of this today...lol. Can someone elaborate?
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
I caught a whiff of this today...lol. Can someone elaborate?
What do you expect from a MICKEY MOUSE company.
Sorry that one was way to easy!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
What do you expect from a MICKEY MOUSE company.
Sorry that one was way to easy!
Yeah, that's exactly what the guys I talked to called it. "Mickey Mouse training"
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is this a Chrysler program or GM?

Rocket - Is the Disney training a Chrysler program or something for GM dealers?

The reason I ask is you posted this thread in the GM section but most of your focus historically has been about CJDR stores.

On a related note, I was checking IP Addresses this morning and smiled when I saw someone from GM was reading this thread. I bet they were thinking - "Disney training for the dealers? I never heard about that program...."
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
57years

Actually they did hear of it years ago. GM brought Disney "partners" to a dealer meeting in Orlando, showed a movie of how Disney earns customer loyalty, and then GM "promoted" each dealer to sign up for in house employee training. Expensive as you may guess, and few signed up. Now, with GM holding the family jewels of the dealer, I'll bet they can sell anything to the dealers, including this happy "horse****!"
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
rd3311

Quote:
GM brought Disney "partners" to a dealer meeting in Orlando, showed a movie of how Disney earns customer loyalty, and then GM "promoted" each dealer to sign up for in house employee training.
AVIS has used Disney as vendor for their training programs for over a decade, and in turn AVIS does get favors from Disney as well.

There are three AVIS locations on Disney property in Orlando (in hotels) that do over $2 million in gross sales (time and mileage plus adds) with less than seven employees per location.

The one in the Hilton Lake Buena Vista does over $4 million.
rd3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Rocket - Is the Disney training a Chrysler program or something for GM dealers?
GM. A friend is a GM franchise parts manager.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
GM. A friend is a GM franchise parts manager.
Thanks for the update. (I'm glad I asked before I moved the thread based on a flawed assumption.)
Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Actually they did hear of it years ago. GM brought Disney "partners" to a dealer meeting in Orlando, showed a movie of how Disney earns customer loyalty, and then GM "promoted" each dealer to sign up for in house employee training. Expensive as you may guess, and few signed up. Now, with GM holding the family jewels of the dealer, I'll bet they can sell anything to the dealers, including this happy "horse****!"
I remember Chrysler used Disney as a training example back in the 1990s when CSI and SSI was a big issue. There were lots of seminars and meetings where Disney's employee training was used as a benchmark.

Disney uses the term "on stage" for anytime their employees are in costume interacting with customers and there are strict rules about what they can and can't do. Chrysler was encouraging their dealers to adopt a similar philosophy for their employees who interacted with customers.

I don't remember Chrysler using Disney as a training vendor like GM did in your example. Chrysler was using Ryan CSI as training vendor and dealers who had low CSI or SSI scores were "encouraged" to participate. At the time the dealers were making good money and most didn't object to the program - some just saw it as their "franchise insurance" payment.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
My understanding of the new GM Franchise agreement was that GM doesn't have to SELL the dealers on any new training requirements...they just have to TELL them when to jump and how high...
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
My understanding of the new GM Franchise agreement was that GM doesn't have to SELL the dealers on any new training requirements...they just have to TELL them when to jump and how high...
Good point - that was another benefit GM took advantage of during their bankruptcy - they strengthened their dealer agreement with all of their dealers.

To this day I remain amazed that Chrysler didn't do the same thing.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Moparguy

Chrysler is not smart enough to use Disney as a training resourse. It would mean a total
revamping of they way we do business and that is really what we need. Apple is another great example of how to raise guest service to a new level and then reap the rewards of loyalty. I am a graduate of the Disney Institute and proud of it. If you are not into guest service, you will not survive. Everything you do has a guest focus component to it and continuous improvement or "plussing" is key. I have implemented several key components of the "Disney Way" into my dealership and I know our customers/guest appreciate the difference. It is not a rides and Mickey Mouse down at the world. These guys make money the old fashoned way...they earn it.

i

i
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
JoeRocket

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/28/c...re-like-disne/
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
The most important item that I read in this article is that sometimes
"Its better to say less"...

Only problem is, you would fail Dealer Standards miserably....
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
tnpartsguy

Default Went last week

It was a full day session for managers, and a 1/2 day session for anyone who contacts the public (service advisors, cashiers, receptionist, sales, ect)

It was feel-good touchy-feely stuff for the most part, but it really did make you think about the #1 problem in every dealership....poor communication.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote