Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
scooter

Default End of the PT

Just got an email from my sales rep that said PT's are no longer available for order and all unscheduled PT's will be cancled. I know I said this before but they just let that little car die a pathetic death. With premium small cars (BMW Mini) still being hot, Chrysler could have upgraded this car and done something with it. Fiat is even trying to bring its 500 to the states if this whole merger thing goes through. Fuel is starting to creep up again, they could have made this our hybrid and not waste that technology on 2 months worth of Aspens/Durangos. What a way to waste a bunch of equity on a well established nameplate. It is bonehead moves like this that really get me going, thanks for listening....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Thank you Chrysler for finally making a smart move on this turd.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Thank you Chrysler for finally making a smart move on this turd.
So, you're not feeling too much love for the PT Cruiser?

I'm with scooter, I always liked the PT Cruiser and I think it's an embarrassment that Chrysler allowed it to die a slow death.

I can still remember how much excitement there was for the PT when it first hit the market. It attracted buyers that had never been to a Chrysler showroom before.

For what it was, in my opinion it was a great vehicle and it added Millions or maybe Billions of dollars to the bottom lines of Chrysler and their dealers.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
dafuzz1956

Maybe true but, it needed a v-6, rear drive and a 6 spd manual, then my friend they would of really had something. Can you see it ? :shades:
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
ssdd

this is just as sad as them letting Plymouth die...
R.I.P. PT
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
possum

Is the HHR still a good seller, or will it follow the PT, and the SSR?
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Is the HHR still a good seller, or will it follow the PT, and the SSR?
For us it's not.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
scooter

This has been a fun image car in our area, we even have a PT club that meets in our local downtown park once a year. PT owners come from all over California to participate....they have a car show/judging(with some wild modifications), poker run, and just a fun time.....whats done is done.... I agree the car isn't what it used to be in the marketplace (duh), but we still sell a few.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
ssdd

we sold one this week...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
squish

just got on internet lead on one.

even though they don't sell like they used to, people are shocked, and saddened when i tell them it is going away.

as for the pt club that meets here in town. some people must have $50,000 or more in some of these custom pt's. they are truly amazing!
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default I think the same thing's going to happen with the Chrysler 300

I mentioned this in another thread, but I fear the Chrysler 300 will suffer the same fate as the Chrysler PT Cruiser. Forced to die a slow death due to lack of investment.

The 2011 Chrysler 300 that was shown in the Viability Plan doesn't look that much different then the existing vehicle - that's sad given that the body style hasn't changed for seven years.

With the 200C that Chrysler unveiled in Detroit, they've proven that they can still design attractive/innovative cars. It's too bad that the 2011 300C doesn't look more like the 200C concept car.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
CL Pgh

I’d have to guess Shacos wasn’t near a Chrysler showroom when the PT’s were launched.? I wouldn’t dispute today’s view/value of the PT … but that little car had its day and then some!!! A side from the Minivan, I’d argue Chrysler had no hotter consumer vehicle in the past 30yrs than the PT. For darn near 18 months, every PT that hit our lot was pre-sold! Stock was non-existent and the toughest thing about selling a PT Cruiser was getting your customer here first when the truck arrived with an un-sold unit! Ahhh yes… the good ol days!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
ssdd

yes they where grand, but we where all standing around bitching about not being able to get enough inventory... pft, things have changed a lot...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
possum

We missed a lot of sales due to availablity. When it was hot, there were none around. The newer models of product came along, and we were not so "new" anymore. Likewise, now we have the Challenger, hot as can be. With the availability problem, we are again going to miss "the window" of hot product. Soon the new Camaro and Mustang will be out, THEN we will have plenty of Challengers. (With rebates on 'em)
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

The PT Cruiser had a good run, like CL Pgh said there must have been a solid 18 months where demand exceeded supply.

I still remember the first time a dealer in California passed on their allocation, it was like someone hit a switch and the vehicle started to cool off. There were dealers that had a "bank" of 40 - 50 extra orders on the system and all of a sudden they started to get scheduled.

Concerning the Challenger, that remains a mystery to me. I watch Ebay and noticed that the pricing premium has gone away, but the vehicle still has enough demand to be pulled from the EP program.

I agree that it would have been smart for Chrysler to over-produce the Challenger before the Camero and the revised Mustang hit the market. There's a lot more competition now then there was just a few months ago.