Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Service

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
ohiobuckeyes

Default Report: Mr. Goodwrench is Unemployed

Auto News is reporting that General Motors will be sending Mr. Goodwrench to the Unemployment line. Mr. Goodwrench would be replaced with Chevrolet Certified Service, Cadillac Certified Service, Buick Certified Service and GMC Certified Service.

"GM marketing chief Joel Ewanick wants the vehicle brands, not corporate, to be the stars of GM, and that includes service and repairs, said one source familiar with the new campaign."

Has anyone at a GM dealership heard anything?

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz14kHEAApn

Also has one notice that the "New GM" is removing the "GM" logo on all GM PDI Signs as well so it can focus on "Core Brands" and not the GM image at the dealership also.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Txflyer

Wonder if he signed a wind-down agreement?
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
DealerEx

Well, since he wasn't a UAW member...they'll publicy thank him for his 35 years of service, then privately declare him an at will employee, deny his pension, confiscate his 401K, bill him for health insurance benefits, deduct value of his corporate service vehicle from severance check and send a memo to Auto Task Force proudly stating they have achieved one more example of "shared sacrifice" for their government partners.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
possum

How much will it cost to re-educate the public with a new name? There is no easier name recognition than to Mr. Goodwrench.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
steve_biegler

Why do companies take names that are well known and have a good following and drop them? Now a dealership that has all the brands has to re-sign the store. Take down Goodwrench signs and install certified whatever signs. I'm starting to think all these guys have a brother in law in the sign business. Maybe I'm just stupid but these changes seem to be counter productive direction of resources. I'm now in the powersports business and about a year ago Yamaha changed the factory signs from blue to red. Now if you are into this sort of thing what mfg. does red make you think of................................HONDA. The explination I got was Yamaha is red in the rest of the world only in the USA is the signage is blue. Last time I checked we were still in the USA. After the BK's I am begining to wonder though. Even better I asked if they were going to change the racing color to red, he said no they would stay blue! Long story short the new sign faces cost me about 4,000. They did let me co-op about 1600.00 of it. Nice guys that they are.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Wonder if he signed a wind-down agreement?
Must of...gets to hang around until Feb 2011. Wonder if we got a better deal then us dealership on a Wind Down Agreement?
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

And we just got all our tech's those nifty Goodwrench utility suits....
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
How much will it cost to re-educate the public with a new name? There is no easier name recognition than to Mr. Goodwrench.
I agree - what a waste of resources.

I've always had a positive association with the Mr. Goodwrench image and I doubt it would cost much to keep the "brand" alive.

I don't follow GM too closely, but is this the same GM executive who made waves several months ago when he stated GM should no longer use the work "Chevy" as an abbreviation for the Chevrolet brand? I remember that decision lasted for less than a week because it was determined to be so out of touch with reality.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote