Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default The NFL opens their Season with a great game between Seattle and Green Bay

While I'll happily acknowledge my hometown bias for the Seahawks, I still think almost everyone will agree that last night's game was a great way to open the NFL season.

The weather was perfect, the match-up was perfect and from the perspective of a Seahawks fan the outcome was perfect too.

It's great to be able to watch NFL football again and I was happy to see that the excessive officiating that was so evident during the pre-season has gone away.

Concerning the Seahawks, the people in the Puget Sound area have been going crazy with their support of the team. Tickets for last night's game were going for $500+ and some people were paying as much as $120 for a single parking space near the stadium.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Seahawks play 40 minutes of HORRIBLE Football but head to the Super Bowl

I thought of this thread yesterday while I was watching the Seahawks play Green Bay to determine which team was headed to the Super Bowl.

While the Seahawks played awesome in the first game of the year they played a HORRIBLE game for the first 40 minutes of yesterday's game.

Green Bay was in total control and the Seahawks couldn't do anything right - especially when it came to hanging on to the football. (Five turnovers)

Amazingly the Seahawks crafted a comeback that required a successful onside kick followed by a two point conversion after the eventual touchdown.

As a Seahawks fan I'll freely admit that Green Bay deserved to win yesterday's game but I'll still celebrate the Seahawk's victory.

On a final note, even though it benefited the Seahawks, I still think the NFL's version of overtime is very poor compared to the NCAA version. It seems that too often the NFL team that wins the coin toss ends up winning the game. With the NCAA version of overtime each team gets a chance to play offense and your team loses only if you fail to match the results of your opponent.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Watched the Pro Bowl - Kind of liked the narrowed Field Goal Posts

I watched part of the Pro Bowl on TV last night and thought it was interesting to see all of the modifications the NFL made to the rules to make the game safer and to test new ideas.

While I hated the idea of no kickoffs I agree that it probably makes sense for a Pro Bowl game where none of the players wants to get hurt in a game where the outcome is mostly meaningless.

That said, I kind of liked the narrowed Field Goal Posts and the greater distance for a PAT. It does seem like a lot of NFL games are somewhat boring because the teams just score field goals - narrowing the posts would certainly force a coach to re-evaluate his options when going for a 40+ yard field goal.

Concerning the use of technology, I liked the idea where the coach calling plays can communicate with the QB via a wireless voice system but I didn't like watching the game where the announce crew already knew what the next play was going to be.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
possum

I would like the Pro Bowl to return to the format of NFC vs AFC. Maybe make it somehow meaningful in the way MLB has done the All Star Game.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I would like the Pro Bowl to return to the format of NFC vs AFC. Maybe make it somehow meaningful in the way MLB has done the All Star Game.
It was somewhat weird watching players from the same team (the helmets were the same) play on different sides of the ball. At one point in the game there was a defensive lineman who could potentially sack the quarterback and they were both from the same team.

It does appear the NFL is aware that the Pro Bowl was getting stale and they've taken some efforts to make the game more appealing to the fans.

From a local perspective the game was a huge success. The University of Phoenix stadium was sold out and the local merchants and hotels would like to see the Pro Bowl be scheduled for Phoenix again soon. Apparently the Pro Bowl has only been played outside of Hawaii twice in the past 30 years or so and it's headed back to Hawaii next year.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy So I guess I know what the Green Bay fans must have felt like....

Well, I guess the shoe is on the other foot and now the Seahawk fans get to feel the frustration of watching their team blow a two possession lead and then lose in unforgettable fashion.

I still think Pete Carroll's a fantastic coach, but his decision to throw the ball for a touchdown is one I'll never fully understand.

There's always next year....