Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Independent Dealers > Sales

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Used Car Dealer sentenced to 53 years in Prison

News reports indicate a Used Car Dealer in Colorado was sentenced to 53 years in prison for failing to disclosed the vehicles he was selling had previous accident damage. Here's a link to the full report - click here

A few things about this story caught my attention. First was the length of the sentence - 53 years seems excessive when you read the prosecutor was only asking for 10.

Second was the actual criminal act. The dealer paid two representative of an insurance company between $100 and $500 per vehicle so he could buy salvage vehicles directly without a title brand. (Makes me wonder how often this happens. )

Third was the sentence handed down to the two insurance company representative - they both got probation. (In my opinion they should be serving jail time too.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
News reports indicate a Used Car Dealer in Colorado was sentenced to 53 years in prison for failing to disclosed the vehicles he was selling had previous accident damage. Here's a link to the full report - click here

A few things about this story caught my attention. First was the length of the sentence - 53 years seems excessive when you read the prosecutor was only asking for 10.

Second was the actual criminal act. The dealer paid two representative of an insurance company between $100 and $500 per vehicle so he could buy salvage vehicles directly without a title brand. (Makes me wonder how often this happens. )

Third was the sentence handed down to the two insurance company representative - they both got probation. (In my opinion they should be serving jail time too.)
Sounds like it might have been the Judge who bought one of the cars ! LOL
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

53 years!?!? Murderers sometimes don't even get that long of a sentence!
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
DealerEx

wow! that IS bizarre...this judge is a whack job...we had one like that over in east Texas a few years back, that would come up with ridiculous sentences based on his own ideas of what was called for, but had absolutely no justification under actual laws. He would come up with "off the wall" sentences, to humiliate and embarrass people, like making them pay to put up a big sign in their yard announcing they had written hot checks, DWI/DUI, or had been caught in a prostitution sting, etc... in addition to the normal sentence for the offense. They finally were able to have him removed under a competency hearing procedure and because he had numerous sexual harrassment charges pending against him by courthouse employees. This case with the dealer getting a "death" sentence while the insurance adjusters got probation is ludicrous... they are just as much to blame as him, because they were the only ones with the authority make it happen...no matter how big a crook he was, he couldn't have accomplished a single fraudulent deal without THEM paving the way.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
53 years!?!? Murderers sometimes don't even get that long of a sentence!
Exactly. I'm glad he's going to jail but the sentence doesn't fit the crime.

I read some of the comments that followed the story and someone pointed out that the CEO of Enron only got 20 years. Enron's fraud wiped-out thousands of people and amounted to Billions of dollars - 20 years seems like a slap on the wrist in comparison.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
...no matter how big a crook he was, he couldn't have accomplished a single fraudulent deal without THEM paving the way.
Bingo - I thought the same thing. If this judge wanted to send a message he should have been equally tough with the two insurance company representatives. They were the ones who violated the publics trust in exchange for money.

I wonder if this judge holds an elected position? Sending Used Car Dealers to jail is always worth a few votes....