Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Why did the Premiere Event fail, and how would you fix it?

While it's clear the Premiere Event was a failure for many of our members, the purpose of this thread is to answer the question: Why did the Premiere Event fail, and how would you fix it?

Here are some questions to ponder:
  • Is direct mail dead?
  • Was the message to the consumer not clear or was it delivered too late?
  • Did the program lack focus - too long and too many products?
  • Was the $25 Gift Card offer too complicated
More important, what are your suggestions to Auburn Hills for the next promotion? (Or should Auburn Hills just scrap their promotions?)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
rd3311

I remember a direct mail sale that Tony Tacito did for the metro Orlando Dodge dealers back in 1986, every dealer participating said that it brought nothing but moochs and freeloaders who would stand in the showrooms in line demanding their "free" pots and pans set that were dollar store rejects.

There were two that did work well, one was the "Thank you America" deal that sent previous buyers the extra rebate certificate back in 1985 that looked like a tax refund check that had printed on it to give to sales rep after making deal. There was a print out provided with customer names, amounts sent, etc to verify if it was valid.

Then Chrysler Credit had a mailer that sent out pre-approval letters with an approved up to a certain figure. I remember a customer who had bought an Imperial back in 1982, paid it off and had one sent to him for $38000. Wow! We did not have any new Chryslers that sold anywhere close to that in those days. It was a shame to think we had to leave 15k on the table.
rd3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
ssdd

in other words, direct mail is dead. I don't read any of that crap and I cant imagine anyone else does either...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Just a thought, but to typical Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge customers go to a lot of premiere events in other parts of their life? In other words, it feels like Chrysler is aiming to high. Their customer base is shopping at Walmart and eating at Applebees, not going to Sundance and eating caviar.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
crowe

The key ingredient to a successful mailer is the offer.
The next key ingredient is the list.
Based on the rate of return I’d say they missed both marks a mile.

As to suggestions to Auburn Hills, I think it’s best to leave dealership advertising to the dealerships.
I’m far from impressed w/ the advertising from these geniuses.
Geniuses? Just ask them.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Just a thought, but to typical Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge customers go to a lot of premiere events in other parts of their life? In other words, it feels like Chrysler is aiming to high. Their customer base is shopping at Walmart and eating at Applebees, not going to Sundance and eating caviar.
I follow your point, but I don't think that was the problem with this version of the Premiere Event.

Back when the Chrysler 300 was brand new Chrysler had a Premiere Event that was pretty successful. It was scheduled for a single night and every dealer had their event on the same day.

It followed the old adage "Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd" and I think the customers viewed it more as an event then a sales gimmick.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
greenlightcody

Default Is Direct Mail Dead?

There are several factors that can make or break a dealerships direct mail campaign. I made a 3 minute video that provides a complete road map to a successful Direct Mail Campaign. The stats are clear. There is no other marketing method that provides this Return on Investment.

In certain markets I know of dealers grossing over 5 million a year from their Direct Mail efforts.

Direct Mail Tutorial - http://goo.gl/L1LbeF
greenlightcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
mryan55

I have mixed thoughts about resurrecting such an old thread, but the Premiere Event was an absolute boondoggle in every possible way.

The website that was used to redeem the promotional card that was given away was a bear to use... I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers just told customers they weren't participating so they didn't have to jack with the process.

I also think that "Premiere Event" is probably aiming too high for the Chrysler / Dodge / Truck customer. Really, considering the WK2 Grand Cherokee was also just hitting its stride, I don't think we were trading too many people out of their near-luxury and luxury SUVs four years ago... so, really, for all four lines this was a program that doesn't match the demographic.

Fast forward four years, with the refreshed WK2 Grand Cherokee, the KL Cherokee and such, this event might juts work these days if it were simpler and aligned with the Jeep brand.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote