Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business This is the place where it happens

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default I can't believe they dropped the hammer....

I can't believe they dropped the hammer....

That's what I was thinking when I bought a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am in Portland via Proxibid this past Saturday.

I was surfing Proxibid Saturday morning and noticed there was a 2002 Trans Am with a LS1 and 6 Speed MT so I figured I'd watch the auction and submit a bid or two just to show make sure no one stole the car. That strategy was working great until they dropped the hammer on my $3,000 bid....

I think I'll do OK but you never know until you see the car - the last time I bought a truck via Proxibid it turned out to be a disaster. Time will tell...

I wanted to fly to Portland and drive the Trans Am home because airfares are super cheap but I have some family obligations that prevented that. I did find a transport company that will ship the Trans Am to Phoenix for $550 and it might be here as early as Saturday.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Here's a link to the auction - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Here's a picture in case the auction link dies:

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
57years
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 530
Default

Funny...I bought a 1987 Porsche 944 last week for $2,851.00. I also thought the gavel was improperly dropped. Checking it over now, before I try and start it. Fingers crossed!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Funny...I bought a 1987 Porsche 944 last week for $2,851.00. I also thought the gavel was improperly dropped. Checking it over now, before I try and start it. Fingers crossed!
That's cool - I've always liked the styling of the 944.

Best of luck with your purchase - hopefully a quick hammer will have resulted in a good deal for you.

And if it turns out not to be a good runner you can always investigate a LS motor swap. I've read that the 944s are a popular platform for a LS swap.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
birch3x
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 341
Default

It's worth it. We sold a similar car with a less desirable color several months ago for $11,500.00. Older vehicles are anybody's call. We've traded and sold a couple dozen in the last two years.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
It's worth it. We sold a similar car with a less desirable color several months ago for $11,500.00. Older vehicles are anybody's call. We've traded and sold a couple dozen in the last two years.
It will definitely be interesting.

I bought a 1999 Camaro Z28 about a year ago that has the same LS1/6 Speed powertrain and I've really enjoyed driving that car. My Z28 has a Magnaflow exhaust system on it and I'm curious to compare the Trans Am to the Z28 to see if there's any performance difference.

I don't think I'll get hurt on the Trans Am as long as the engine and transmission are solid - I've seen salvage title/wrecked cars sell for more when they're equipped with a LS1/6MT.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default Mystery solved.....

Well, I think I figured out the mystery....

The reason they dropped the hammer at $3000 on the 2002 Pontiac Trans Am is because it's a steaming turd...

I was thinking about keeping the Trans Am because I thought it might be cool to own the last year the car was in production but this car is "rougher than a night in jail."

It's not the end of the world, I'll just fix a few minor things and see if I can wholesale my way out of this deal.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
mryan55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 588
Default

Sorry to hear that the 2002 Trans Am isn't all it was cracked up to be. Hopefully the exit strategy isn't too difficult!

I've been looking for a toy/project for a while now. Thinking about a quirky old BMW or M-B diesel to mess around with but pricing wise, everything seems a little stratospheric for what it is.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
57years
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 530
Default

Yesterday found a 1984 944, same color, no rust, cloth (better condition) interior, 30,000 fewer miles for $3,400.. Hammer not down on this one yet. Hope it goes much higher.

As to my 1987, towed to shop, turned over and no oil pressure. Easy seal replacement and fixed. Started, and shifted OK. Looking about an oil leak (minor). Might be on the road for less than $3,600., all in.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Sorry to hear that the 2002 Trans Am isn't all it was cracked up to be. Hopefully the exit strategy isn't too difficult!
It's amazing how different a car can look in person contrasted to how it looked online - if ever there was a car that was meant to be sold on the Internet this is it...

I haven't had a chance to spend too much time on the car yet but hope to look at it later today to figure out my exit strategy.

Based on the title documents it appears that Navy Federal Credit Union was the lien holder and the vehicle was traded in to a Chevrolet/Cadillac store in Oregon. The Chevrolet/Cadillac store held the vehicle for about six weeks and then wholesaled it to a used car dealer. The used car dealer kept the vehicle for about six months before they dumped it at auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I've been looking for a toy/project for a while now. Thinking about a quirky old BMW or M-B diesel to mess around with but pricing wise, everything seems a little stratospheric for what it is.
That sounds interesting - I like to have a car/truck that I can mess around with.

When I get bored I often search Insurance Auto Auction to see what they have - they occasionally sell a clear title older BMW or Mercedes and often they sell pretty cheap. That said, there's a reason they're being sold at IAAI and you can bet they're going to require some repairs.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Yesterday found a 1984 944, same color, no rust, cloth (better condition) interior, 30,000 fewer miles for $3,400.. Hammer not down on this one yet. Hope it goes much higher.

As to my 1987, towed to shop, turned over and no oil pressure. Easy seal replacement and fixed. Started, and shifted OK. Looking about an oil leak (minor). Might be on the road for less than $3,600., all in.
That's awesome - congratulations on the diagnosis and repair. I always enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get when I fix a car and get it back on the road.

The 1984 Porsche 944 that you're watching - is that an Ebay auction or is it selling somewhere else?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 AM   #13
57years
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 530
Default

Elsewhere. It is on www.ebth.com. I am bidding on it now. hoping to push it higher so my first purchase looks like a real buy to me. fortunately, located in Cincinnati, so less than a 30 minute drive.

As to the site, I just built a new home, and keeping in budget for furnishings, I bought much "estate worthy" furniture and oil paintings at EBTH. I highly recommend for "eclectic" items. Yesterday, there were 8 auctions of slides from a noteworthy photographer from days gone by, at PENTHOUSE, of Pia Zadora. I was not a bidder, but they were "art-worthy".

They have been expanding their reach all over the Midwest. For small items, like jewelry or pocket knives, shipping was easy. I shipped a lithograph (not framed) of "greyhound dogs" from an estate in Texas.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
57years
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 530
Default

that 1984 Porsche sold for $4,800.00.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Elsewhere. It is on www.ebth.com. I am bidding on it now. hoping to push it higher so my first purchase looks like a real buy to me. fortunately, located in Cincinnati, so less than a 30 minute drive.

As to the site, I just built a new home, and keeping in budget for furnishings, I bought much "estate worthy" furniture and oil paintings at EBTH. I highly recommend for "eclectic" items. Yesterday, there were 8 auctions of slides from a noteworthy photographer from days gone by, at PENTHOUSE, of Pia Zadora. I was not a bidder, but they were "art-worthy".

They have been expanding their reach all over the Midwest. For small items, like jewelry or pocket knives, shipping was easy. I shipped a lithograph (not framed) of "greyhound dogs" from an estate in Texas.
Thanks for the link - I just checked it out as I had never heard of that site before.

It's nice to see that there's some completion for Ebay since their fees for sellers can be pretty high.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Predict the "Hammer Price" of this '12 Chrysler 300 SRT8 and Win! XDCX Automotive Discussions 30 10-23-2012 10:31 AM
Dow Jones dropped by over 400 points at mid-day XDCX General Discussions 53 09-25-2011 09:14 PM
Predict the "Hammer Price" of this '08 Challenger SRT8 and Win! XDCX Automotive Discussions 1 05-20-2011 07:59 AM
Dealer Standards - Has your Earnings Level Dropped? birch3x Sales 33 11-25-2010 08:23 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016