Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
JoeRocket

Default Point me in the right direction...

I've been thinking about finding a different parts manager job and I was wondering if any of you might have any recommendations for websites to try. I haven't even thought about working anywhere else since I took this job in '03 and I'm pretty much out of the loop with marketing myself online. Headhunters around the Houston area haven't seemed to have much in the way of discretion from what I've seen, either. I'd hate to just give them my information and then get called into the GM's office when he finds out that I'm considering making a switch.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

In case you consider moving to the rainy northwest, try:

www.carpeople.com

They send out a monthly email newsletter as well.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
In case you consider moving to the rainy northwest, try:

www.carpeople.com

They send out a monthly email newsletter as well.
As beautiful as it is up there, I'd have to pass. My parents are here in Houston and I can't leave them behind.

Thanks for the info, though.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Indeed.com

You might want to check out Indeed.com

Their website gathers job listing from multiple sources and has some decent filtering tools.

Are you wanting to stay with Chrysler, or are you open to working at a dealership that sells another line of vehicles?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

indeed.com is how I found my current job. I forgot about that one.

There was a headhunt that continually called me for a while there. I'm going to do some looking around to see if I can remember what the hell their name was.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post

Are you wanting to stay with Chrysler, or are you open to working at a dealership that sells another line of vehicles?
I'm open, really. I've managed a GM parts department for years (would still be there if they didn't close the doors). I've been doing Mopar for awhile now....but it's all the same, really. The details are different, but the principles are the same.

And I'm not saying that I'm definitely going to make a change. I don't really know what the market is like right now. But it's more than money, really. Things are just uneasy around here lately and I get the feeling that corporate is trying to ramrod the hell out of the place to pump it's value up for possible sale. I've been through enough buy/sells that the stress of it all is something I'd prefer to avoid. I don't have anything other than a gut feeling, but I've had 'em before and I was right both times. I'd love to be able to find somewhere stable, if possible.

Now, that said, I'm also not looking to talk to one place to get leverage on another. If someone decides they'd like to hire me and I think it's a move that is in my best interest, then I'll do it. If not, I won't. I hate it when people play that game with people and I refuse to do it.

If anyone knows someone in the Houston area that's looking for someone, shoot me a PM. Here are my stats for the last 2 years since I was moved over to this store:

2009 vs 2008 Gross - up 2% (and considering the parts availbility during those central 4-5 months during the bankruptcy, I consider that a victory)

2009 vs 2008 Variable Selling Gross - up 14%

2008 vs 2007 Gross - up 12%

2008 vs 2007 Variable Selling Gross - up 32%

Total 2009 Wholesale - 20% retention
Total 2009 Retail Counter - 40% retention
Total 2009 CP ROs - 36% retention
Total 2009 Internal ROs - 32% retention
Total 2009 Warranty - 28% retention
Total 2009 Variable Selling Gross - 60%
Total 2009 Emergency Purchases - 9.1%
Total 2009 Gross Inventory Turn - 7%
Total 2009 True Inventory Turn - 5%
Total 2009 Level of Service - 90%

Current inventory value: ~300K
Current inventory over 12 mnths no activity: 5% (the corporation purchased everything from the outgoing dealer. That number was right at 30% when I took over)
Current days supply - 51

All of this I did while retaining all but one of the employees that were there when I arrived. The one employee that I did not retain was because I realized the counter was too "heavy" when I arrived.

Oh yeah, and I can provide documentation of all this if required.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
Things are just uneasy around here lately and I get the feeling that corporate is trying to ramrod the hell out of the place to pump it's value up for possible sale. I've been through enough buy/sells that the stress of it all is something I'd prefer to avoid. I don't have anything other than a gut feeling, but I've had 'em before and I was right both times. I'd love to be able to find somewhere stable, if possible.
I bet every dealership employee who reads your post will be able to relate to it. It's weird how often a gut feeling turns out to be an earlier indicator that change is in the wind.

Your track record is certainly impressive and your approach seems logical - there's nothing wrong with looking around to see what other opportunities are out there.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote