Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Midwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Massive Hail Storm damages 4,400 vehicles at Woodhouse Auto Family in Blair, NE

A massive hail storm has damaged almost 4,400 vehicles at the dealerships operated by the Woodhouse Auto Family in Blair, NE. Here's a link to a report in Automotive News - click here

Woodhouse is the dealer group that has the huge Ford store the features "Truck Mountain" with their inventory of new trucks climbing up a hillside.

The news report indicates the hail was the size of baseballs and pictures show broken windows and large dents to the horizontal surfaces of the vehicles exposed to the hail.

I'm guessing it's a great time to be in the paint/body/glass business if you're in Nebraska....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
squish

My friend that owns the local "Dent Pro" business loves this time of year. He gets sent around the country all expenses paid and removes dents all day long and makes a ton of money. This damage looks a little bit beyond dent pro though.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
My friend that owns the local "Dent Pro" business loves this time of year. He gets sent around the country all expenses paid and removes dents all day long and makes a ton of money. This damage looks a little bit beyond dent pro though.
I had a friend who worked for Dent Wizard for a period of time and he told me the technicians who were good at their job were making some pretty decent money.

While the damage they experienced at Woodhouse is too extensive for PDR (Paintless dent repair) it is amazing how much damage can be corrected with PDR.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Vehicles "totaled" because of broken glass?

I was reading a news report about another dealership that was recently hit with hail damage and thought the following excerpt was interesting:
Nearby, some of the 300 vehicles damaged on the lot of Fairfield Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Danville are considered totaled and the others are being assessed on a case-by-case basis, president Steve Kaiser Sr. said.

Insurance adjusters have declared any vehicle with a broken window to be totaled, he said. Their concern is a sliver of glass might have gotten into a fan and could blow onto the driver or passenger, he explained.
Here's a link to the full news report - click here

In using the word "totaled" I'm guessing that the insurance company is taking the position that a vehicle can no longer be sold as a new car if it has had a broken window. I can't imagine that the insurance company would actually brand the vehicle's title as being "totaled" and take the resulting depreciation that a branded title brings.