Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Txflyer

Question Any PC to Mac converts here?

My home PC is getting a bit long in tooth, and I am really considering giving an iMac a try. Anyone made the switch (or not made the switch) and have comments either way.

I owned an original Mac back in 1985 as a college student, but the new ones seem to have come a looooong way. Primary uses at home are email, net surfing, keeping track of personal finances and some online gaming for stress relief.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
ohiobuckeyes

Just purchased a Mac Book about 2 years ago. Glad I purchased it, but have not had time to play around with all of the cool tools it has standard. I used iTunes a lot, along with the internet on the mac (home pc does not connect will to the wireless network at home).

Also run Windows XP on my Mac Book with the software VMware Fusion or you and use Parallels Desktop 5.0 for Mac. Really worth the extra investment. Also have an iPhone so it links up great with the mac book.

(http://www.dealerrefresh.com/mac-dealership/)

Alex Snyder from Dealer Refresh wrote a great article about using a MAC in the car dealership, it might help you out a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Can not wait for that Automotive DMS from Apple.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I've been considering the switch for about a year now. Let me know how it goes if it switches. My biggest concerns are price and the quality. A friend of mine has used Macs all of his life and has said they typically only last 3-4 years before you need to get a new one. Anyone else have the same experience?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
(http://www.dealerrefresh.com/mac-dealership/)

Alex Snyder from Dealer Refresh wrote a great article about using a MAC in the car dealership, it might help you out a little bit.

Hope this helps.
Wow, great link. That article covers all the pros and cons of switching to a MAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Can not wait for that Automotive DMS from Apple.
I must have missed that news flash - I didn't know that Apple was working on a DMS.

On a different note, what ever happened to Microsoft's DMS? I remember a couple of years ago they were testing it with some Megadealers and I haven't heard anything since.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
fourmds

Highly recomended if thats all you use it for. Remember too you can run windows on a mac.
fourmds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

No Apple does not have a DMS coming out. It would just a be a great idea for us mac users in the auto busniess.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
CUD

I own a Mac Powerbook and love it. No crazy error messages and you can basically use it right out of the box. I also own an iphone and love that as well.

Did buy a new PC this year and must say that Windows 7 is a huge (I mean HUGE) improvement over Vista and XP. It is much more stable.

But...the Apple is the computer that gets the most use in my home.
CUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Txflyer

I've about made the decision to jump, especially reading about the Parallels software. I can continue to run my PC based apps until I can either wean myself off them or they become outdated. Just not having to constantly have a machine slowed down by Norton get the blue screen of death or constantly have applications crash would be a huge relief.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUD View Post
Did buy a new PC this year and must say that Windows 7 is a huge (I mean HUGE) improvement over Vista and XP. It is much more stable.
I purchased a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 a couple of months ago and totally agree - it's a HUGE improvement over Vista.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Txflyer

Maybe I need to check out a Windows 7 machine before deciding. My Vista / XP machines are the ones making me look the other direction.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I'm a huge fan of Windows 7 on my work laptop. So much better!
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Maybe I need to check out a Windows 7 machine before deciding. My Vista / XP machines are the ones making me look the other direction.
That's probably a smart idea and would probably prove to be a lot less costly in the long run.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Ralph

PC's....needed a new laptop after about a year every time, because they get so clogged with crap, they're slow as molassass. I switched to Mac about 10 years ago...and I've upgraded several...and the old ones are with friends and family still running strong. Let's see a Windows machine run for 10 years flawlessly.

There's my opinion.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Txflyer

Well. . . .I decided to give Bill Gates one more shot. Just ordered a Dell 8100 this weekend. I do some online gaming to relieve the stress from the dealership, and a Mac stout enough for the demands of that would have run into some serious $$$. I was able to buy a windows machine with twice the processing power for about half the price.

If Windows 7 dissapoints, I'll get a Mac next time for everything else, and keep the PC for gaming.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
possum

My Windows 7 has been perfect.........so far.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote