Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
bbdrew

Default Fraud

I'm not sure if anyone has had this happen to them, but I got an email from a customer through our website for the purchase of 5 shock absorbers for a total of close to 2500.00. The customers initial request was from a town 4 hours away. I quoted the items and sent the quote. The person then sent me 2 credit card number to pay for the order. The credit cards looked good and contained all information needed, but I still didn't feel right. I emailed the customer for shipping information and billing zip code, they then sent all the information an address in TX. I check the address and it was an abandoned business in TX. I checked the BBB on the business and the only complaint was a delivery issue. I got my office manager involved at this point and she recommended me ask for a faxed copy of the credit card and drivers license. I then asked for it from the customer and got it. The Drivers License and Passport they sent looked good for someone in CA, but the copy of the credit card was photoshopped and they did a horrible job at it. I broke off communication and will be reporting to the Feds. I'm not sure if they can do anything, but will send what I have.
Wanted to give you all a heads up.
bbdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
tnpartsguy

This scam has been around for years. Air ride shocks for an older escalade? I just delete the email now.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
bbdrew

Yes, I just thought I would give everyone a heads up.
bbdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdrew View Post
Yes, I just thought I would give everyone a heads up.
And Thanks! Some may have never seen one of this type.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
Joker

Yeah, recently had a "local used car lot" order enough spark plugs for 4 of the same vehicle from the new guy. Gave a CC # over the phone. CC ran through okay. I somehow saw the invoice for the spark plugs and questioned the order. I questioned the new guy. We found out the "local used car lot" didn't exist at the address they gave. The customer was notified that the parts had come in and then wanted to order several headlights, taillights, etc. Thankfully I told the new guy to not order anything else until the customer came in with the CC. That must've tipped him off because he never came in to get the spark plugs. Oh yeah we also got charged back by the CC company. I also had someone call me one day wanting to buy 28 tires and pay for them with a CC, wanted them next day. For some reason I just couldn't get the tires he wanted.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote