Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
79LilRedExpress

Question Do you have a smoking policy ?

Our local hospital hosted the Rotary meeting last week and I was surprised to hear that 3800 Americans a day start smoking.

I was wondering what policies other dealers have in place for their employees.

First...

Do you allow smoking?

Where and when?
Is it on company time or are they required to be "off the clock"?

And any other comments?

We allow it.
Because of State law, it has to be outside.
Currently, there are no restrictions on when and they are on company time.

Thanks for the input
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
chryslersrt8

We did not allow smoking from day 1 in our new store starting 1999. In our old facility no smoking was allowed in service parts area due to health regulations of smoke + asbestos from brakes. It is/was a major health issue.

Salespeople not allowed to smoke when outside with customers even if customer smoked. Smoking in a customers or dealership vehicle was an immediate termination.

To encourage employees to stop smoking, anyone who quit for 1 year got a $500 bonus. I felt it was money well spent as they were more productive and saved us on our health insurance policy with less doctor/ sickness costs. The few who took me up were amazed who much better they felt and the money they saved by not smoking.

State now outlaws smoking in house or within 8-10 feet of any entrance. Thank God!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Great thread.

I'd be interested to hear how many stores require smoking to be done "off the clock." I've known of some stores that allowed their employees to go to a smoking area while they were "on the clock" and some of the non-smoking employees resented it because they thought they were missing out on a free break.

It's hard to keep everyone happy....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
57years

No smoking in the building proper, (INCLUDING the shop floor) BUT when I built the building I had a "separate" customer waiting lounge (in other words two lounges) with separate heat and A/C complete with "smoke eaters". Brought me business for sure. However, the county decided to go no smoking, so I had to shut it down. And yes, the county does enforce the rule!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
tnpartsguy

Default Smoking Circle

No smoking by ANYONE inside the building.

Customers have smoking areas, the one for service customers is right outside my parts doors. I've been forced to shut the roll-up door several times because 4 or 3 Camel smokers would stand IN the doorway and smoke.

Employees are only allowed to smoke within a circle the owner had painted on the pavement right in front of the dumpsters.

Electronic Cigarettes are treated the same as normal cigarettes, 'light' one up inside and you're terminated.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
No smoking by ANYONE inside the building.

Employees are only allowed to smoke within a circle the owner had painted on the pavement right in front of the dumpsters.

I like the circle in front of the dumpsters !

I would be afraid of a "dumpster fire" though
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
mr4t60e

Only one dealership I've ever worked for allowed smoking out in the shop. I always thought that it looked very unprofessional to the general public for a technician to be leaning over a car with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Other stores owned by the same dealer group were 100% smoke free but our service manager (a 3 pack a day smoker himself) must not have gotten that memo.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
4x4AutoSales

Smoking allowed outside, as it should be. You can't control people, and you shouldn't. By the way, why the heck do some of your places above treat electronic cigarettes the same as real ones?!?! Isn't the whole point that smoking is bad..so you're punishing someone trying to quit?
4x4AutoSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4AutoSales View Post
Smoking allowed outside, as it should be. You can't control people, and you shouldn't. By the way, why the heck do some of your places above treat electronic cigarettes the same as real ones?!?! Isn't the whole point that smoking is bad..so you're punishing someone trying to quit?
I'm not 100% up to speed on the electronic cigarettes but based on the few headlines I've read it appears that many states are treating them the same as regular cigarettes.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote