Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

View Poll Results: What's your prediction for November's Sales Results?
Sales will be strong and evenly spread between all OEMs 0 0%
Sales will be strong overall but some OEMs will continue to struggle 0 0%
Sales will be marginal overall - the pattern of winners and losers will continue 14 70.00%
Sales will be weak and evenly spread between all OEMs 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
The "slowdown"has finally hit my dealership...3rd month in a row of slightly declining sales....I still had 10% of the sales and made a good paycheck....but it appears a bit grim at this point.
That's interesting - your store has been riding the wave for a long time.

I heard from another dealer in the Denver BC that sales had slowed down quite a bit in the last month or two. I guess it only takes about 60 or 70 units to be the top selling Chrysler dealer in the Business Center.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
We were up 60% over Nov 08 w/ KIA. Nov has been our worst mo of each yr for the last 5 yrs. Dec is always better with strong sales after Christmas.
Wow, 60% up year-over-year is awesome.

I can see why you were pushing to move CJ out and go with a single point KIA store.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler down 25% from last year

It looks like the analysts were right with their predictions concerning Chrysler - sales were off 25% compared to last November.

Here's a link to Chrysler's Press Release - click here

On a positive note, it appears that sales of the Sebring, Caravan and Journey were strong. While I'm assuming that the Sebring's performance is reflective of fleet sales, I'm hoping the Caravan and Journey reflect retail demand.

It's also worth noting that Caliber sales were almost non-existent due to inventory issues.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #19
possum

Ram Truck down 37% --- I'd say the new ads are not working.

It is amazing the spin these guys can put on the reports. Lipstick on a pig.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Default Hyundai/KIA up 34% - is it Fleet Business?

Automotive News is reporting that Hyundai/KIA are up 34% but there are some comments suggesting that most of the gain is from the rental fleets.

Does Hyundai/KIA breakout their retail and fleet sales?

As a small piece of anecdotal evidence, my father rented a car for the first week he was in Sun City West and it was a Hyundai, so maybe there's some truth to the comments?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Ram Truck down 37% --- I'd say the new ads are not working.

It is amazing the spin these guys can put on the reports. Lipstick on a pig.
I wonder if there was anything that made November of 2008 unusually strong for the Ram? I do remember there was a glut of 2008s when Dodge launched the 2009 Ram, but I don't remember if there were any great incentives last year that might explain the drop.

Concerning the "lipstick on a pig" comment - I agree.

On a final note, at what point is the Dakota officially dead? Less than 700 units and outsold by the Sprinter.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Automotive News is reporting that Hyundai/KIA are up 34% but there are some comments suggesting that most of the gain is from the rental fleets.

Does Hyundai/KIA breakout their retail and fleet sales?

As a small piece of anecdotal evidence, my father rented a car for the first week he was in Sun City West and it was a Hyundai, so maybe there's some truth to the comments?
I don’t know about Hyundai fleet sales but for Oct KIA reported a 45% sales increase and the national sales report was a 15% increase in dealership sales. Although fleet was a big part of the increase fleet was less than 20% of sales.

The good news is Nov 09 US sales are flat w/ Nov 08, the bad news is Nov 08 sucked.
OEMs up from Nov 08 may see a little light but nobody is out of the woods yet.
The 25% drop for CJD w/ over 50% in fleet is beyond bad news. I hope they get it together soon.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #23
Ralph

Quote:

The good news is Nov 09 US sales are flat w/ Nov 08, the bad news is Nov 08 sucked.
OEMs up from Nov 08 may see a little light but nobody is out of the woods yet.
The 25% drop for CJD w/ over 50% in fleet is beyond bad news. I hope they get it together soon.
Wasn't November 08, kinda like the end of the world? And for Chrysler to be down 25% from that? Huh? After the big announcement, big advertising campaigns, big incentives, big restructuring and big new management firmly in place?

GM seems to be moving at a different speed than Chrysler these days. 2 more years of the same products...ummm....
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I haven't seen any reports that breakout the fleet numbers for Chrysler yet - was it really 50%?

While I knew the Sebring volume had to be fleet, I was hoping that Journey and Minivan figures reflected retail demand.

And what's the story with the Caliber? I know that there's a new interior for 2010 but I thought Chrysler had a solution that would allow them to build units in the mean time.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #25
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Wasn't November 08, kinda like the end of the world? And for Chrysler to be down 25% from that? Huh? After the big announcement, big advertising campaigns, big incentives, big restructuring and big new management firmly in place?

GM seems to be moving at a different speed than Chrysler these days. 2 more years of the same products...ummm....
I've heard Marchionne say on a number of occasions that he wants to lower incentive costs and he won't build a car if he can't make any money on it. That's great, but what about the dealers?

The Dodge Avenger is a great example. I saw one the other day with aftermarket tires and wheels and it looked 100 times better than the stock units. Granted, the Avenger's not a great car but if it looks good and it's cheap enough it will sell.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Here's a link to Chrysler's Press Release - click here
I thought it was interesting that Chrysler now discloses their Mopar parts sales and Service Contract performance. I don't recall that they've done that in the past.

Seems odd that they'd provide that level of detail and not breakout fleet and retail sales? Maybe it's there and I missed it?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Default How can Suzuki and Mitsubishi survive at these volumes?

I was reviewing the sales recap in Automotive News and noticed that Suzuki and Mitsubishi were both down by 40 to 50% for November. Mitsubishi was down to less than 3,000 units and Suzuki was barely selling half of that.

How long can these brands survive in the U.S.?

I also read that the Smart Car was down 66% from last year. I wonder how far sales have to drop before Daimler and Penske pull the plug?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Ralph

I used to think Chrysler/Fiat was in a different league than Suzuki and Mitsubishi...but I'm reforming my opinion. Hehehe... :-)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
possum

You better change it. Suzuki, and Mitubishi will end up as bigger players.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #30
crowe

Quote:
I haven't seen any reports that breakout the fleet numbers for Chrysler yet - was it really 50%?

While I knew the Sebring volume had to be fleet, I was hoping that Journey and Minivan figures reflected retail demand.

And what's the story with the Caliber? I know that there's a new interior for 2010 but I thought Chrysler had a solution that would allow them to build units in the mean time.
The Nov total of all BCs (dealership sales) = 31,461 Autodata reports CJD US Nov sales of 65,560 looks like over 50% fleet to me.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote