Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Nissan > Sales

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Nissan or NMAC offering incentives to Independant Dealers for off-lease Leafs?

I was driving down one of the main roads in Phoenix for Used Car Dealers yesterdays and noticed there was an independent dealer that had at least 10 Nissan Leafs in inventory. Given that the Dealer's total inventory was probably 120 units that seemed like a lot of dollars to be tied up for one vehicle line.

I checked out the cars and it was clear that the Nissan Leafs came from California because they had the special HOV stickers that allow the cars to drive in the High-Occupancy Car Pool Lanes. It also appeared the cars came from a Dealer Auto Auction and were sold by NMAC based on the marking on the windshield.

Is Nissan or NMAC offering special deals to used car dealers to stock off-lease Leafs or did this Dealer just step-up big time the last time he was at the auction?

My logical side thinks it's unlikely that NMAC would circumvent their own dealers to dump off-lease Leafs but then again maybe their Dealers would be less concerned since these vehicle were being sold out of state.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
tnpartsguy

I've seen a lot of Leafs on used lots in middle TN. (Nissan US headquarters in just south of Nashville and they do have a plant nearby too) But the things are dirt cheap. I'm just guessing they any plug-in car is going to have a very limited resale market, and Nissan had a TON of plant people and exec's in them for a while getting real world experience for the platform.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I've seen a lot of Leafs on used lots in middle TN. (Nissan US headquarters in just south of Nashville and they do have a plant nearby too) But the things are dirt cheap. I'm just guessing they any plug-in car is going to have a very limited resale market, and Nissan had a TON of plant people and exec's in them for a while getting real world experience for the platform.
Thanks for the information.

I have the same feeling that there may be a glut of off-lease Nissan Leafs and there may not be much demand for them in the resale market.

I spend most of my time traveling in the Southwest and it's a rare occasion when I spot a Nissan Leaf - that's why I was so surprised to see a relatively small used car dealer devote almost 10% of his lot space to the cars.

I don't get the impression that the Leaf is a bad car, I'm guessing that people don't want to buy a vehicle and have to deal with "range anxiety" and then have the worries of what to do once the battery pack fails.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Leaf battery warrranted for 5 Years or 60,000 Miles

I was curious about the battery warranty and replacement cost on the Nissan Leaf so I did some digging.

According to this report, Nissan warrants the battery on the Leaf for 5 years or 60,000 miles. While that sounds impressive, as I understand it Nissan will only replace the battery under warranty if its capacity falls below 70% of what it was capable of as a new battery.

For a vehicle that already has "range anxiety" issues I think telling a customer that a 30% loss of capacity is normal after 5 years might be a hard pill to swallow.

A harder pill to swallow might be the Nissan Leaf's battery replacement cost. Nissan reports a replacement battery with better technology will be available for the Leafs for $5,500 plus tax and installation.

I think I have a better understanding for why the off-lease market for the Leafs is so soft.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
tnpartsguy

Honda has a similar issues with the Insight. The batteries are very prone to early failure, and Honda is NOT standing behind them as you would think they would.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Honda has a similar issues with the Insight. The batteries are very prone to early failure, and Honda is NOT standing behind them as you would think they would.
Thanks for the information - that's interesting.

I remember reading an article about a year ago concerning new technologies that were still in development that would significantly extend the lifespan of rechargeable batteries.

While I'm no battery expert I know the battery life on my almost two year old smartphone is probably about 65% of what it was when it was new.