Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football - 2014

It's hard to believe that we're already headed into the second week of College Football for the 2014/2015 season.

My University of Washington Huskies barely escaped out of Hawaii with a win and they didn't look very impressive. It was win but it was an ugly win against an opponent they should have been able to crush.

The Huskies play Eastern Washington at home on Saturday and the Huskies will return their starting QB to the team who missed the Hawaii game due to disciplinary concerns.

Concerning College Football overall, last year provided some of the best games I've ever watched - I hope 2014 will provide the same level of excitement.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Lakeshow

Glad to see you beat those pesky Eastern WA Eagles, although it was closer than I thought it should be. Vernon Adams is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
mryan55

Hasn't been much to talk about with the Northwestern Wildcats yet. Off to a pretty miserable start so far... 0-2 with losses to Cal and Northern Illinois.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
squish

So what does everyone think of the new 4 team playoff and how they are selected? Are they getting it right? Pretty cool to see TCU in there.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
mryan55

Well -- the season's over for Northwestern, although my undergrad -- Bowling Green -- will play in some insignificant bowl, which is the most we can expect for the MAC.

The playoff is a good idea. Stinks to see TCU and BU left on the outside looking in.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
possum

Just as bogus as the BCS. Its all about the money, projected national TV audience, and politics. TCU and Baylor are just too small, and lack the political power of Ohio State.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
squish

Looks like my Oklahoma State Cowboys got a bowl against the X-man's Washington Huskies!!!!
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Just as bogus as the BCS. Its all about the money, projected national TV audience, and politics. TCU and Baylor are just too small, and lack the political power of Ohio State.
YEP! In an interview late Saturday night, one of the ESPN "experts" gave his choices for the top 4 as 1. Bama, 2. Oregon, 3. Florida State, and 4. Ohio State...just like all the rest of the commentators were touting all during the games Saturday night...no surprise there....BUT...someone asked him which of his picks had the best chance to defeat Alabama and he said: "well, none of them, because the two teams that have the best chance to beat them are TCU and Baylor and they won't be in the playoffs".
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
steve_biegler

With logic like that the "Expert" must have been employed by Chrysler at one time.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
InBloom94

Even though I can't stand them, FSU should be the #1 ranked team, even though they have been winning ugly and looking unimpressive the bottom line is they are the only undefeated team left and defending national champs. But no, Bama is there, big surprise huh? Say what you will about Oregon but I think they picked Ohio State so they would not be forced to choose between the frogs and bears not to mention the obvious of them being a bigger name. But how can TCU go from 3 to 6 in 1 week after winning by over 50? I mean, yes Iowa State is horrible but still it's ridiculous in my book.
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
DealerEx

"money...money...money...moneeeee..." Ohio State has 44,000+ enrollment and accordingly a HUGE alumni base to ensure maximum revenue to the host cities and there is still a strong bias toward the longtime powerhouse schools. There is no doubt that TCU and Baylor can compete with anyone. TCU proved that back in 2011 when they won the Rose Bowl over the Big 10 champion that year. I believe that if it had been Texas and Oklahoma in the same position as TCU/Baylor this year, they would have both gone to the playoffs because of their size and their historical status as National Champions.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Looks like my Oklahoma State Cowboys got a bowl against the X-man's Washington Huskies!!!!
I just read this thread after taking a couple of months off from the forum.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game - with an 8:15 PM start Arizona Time it looks like it will be a long night.

It looks like the odds-makers have Washington winning by 7 points - maybe I'm an optimist but I'm betting the Huskies will win by 14+ points.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football Playoffs - What a great start

Granted the College Football Playoffs may not be prefect but in my opinion they're a HUGE improvement over the BCS.

Without the playoff system we would be wondering which is the better team - Oregon or Ohio State. With the CFP we'll know the answer on January 12th. I'd still like to see the CFP expand to an eight game playoff but I'm happy with what we have so far.

Concerning an eight game playoff structure, I was hoping that Alabama would crush Ohio State so there would be more conversation about how the top four teams were selected but Ohio State played a great game and deserved the win.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
mryan55

Ohio State did play quite well. Although I am from the midwest I try to be as anti-Ohio State as possible, but when it comes down to being our much-beleaguered conference's only hope in the playoff, I guess I have to root for them!

Although Michigan State did show some mettle in their win over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. It was also good to see the Cotton Bowl as a major bowl relative to how it has been for the last decade. Two top 10 teams and covered on ESPN... for the longest time is was just pushed to the side and put on Fox!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It looks like the odds-makers have Washington winning by 7 points - maybe I'm an optimist but I'm betting the Huskies will win by 14+ points.
Well, so much for that prediction....

While the final score of 22 - 30 makes it appear like it was a close game, the Huskies were slaughtered by Oklahoma State.

While I hated to see the Huskies lose I have to hand it to Oklahoma State - they played a great game and it looked like their players really wanted to be there. I think the highlight was watching a 300+ pound defensive lineman take a snap from center and score a touchdown and then later make a reception for a 40+ yard completion.