Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Default Christopher's Dodge World Accused of Forgery

http://www.9news.com/news/article/19...ed-for-forgery

Something I'm very familiar with in the auditing world and something that probably goes on all the time, especially with incentive-based pay scales. In my time in the automotive industry, I ran into this type of shady practice at least 10 times. It's really sad, especially for the customer who expects one thing and gets something completely different.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

That's really interesting - thanks for starting the thread.

Although I've only met him on a few occasions I've always been a big fan of Chris Hall - he's a self-made man. While I hate to hear that one of his employees is suspected of forgery I liked that Mr. Hall wasn't defensive and wants to see someone sent to jail "if there's a thief in the house."

It's interesting that the TV station is spinning the story that the higher rate loan was forged to increase the dealer's profit. My bet is the customer didn't qualify for the 4.99% rate and the deal needed to be re-contracted.

That said, what was the accused forger thinking? Not only is it illegal to forge a signature but the odds of getting caught are very high. I wonder if the second contract stripped away products or extended the term of the loan so the monthly payment didn't go up?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

On an added note, if all of the allegations in this case prove to be true, I hope the judge adds extra time to the jail sentence because the forger misspelled the customer's name.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Haha! I miss that in the article. On one occasion, I found someone forging signatures in print, instead of cursive. Kind of easy to spot, no?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Haha! I miss that in the article. On one occasion, I found someone forging signatures in print, instead of cursive. Kind of easy to spot, no?
What is it with stupid criminals?

I'd still like to compare the first contract with the second one. My bet is the payment is the same but the interest rate went up and the price of the vehicle was lowered or F&I product was stripped away.