Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Parts

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
vera6.4

Default Remote Start in 2013 DS

Anyone know if a you can piecemeal a remote start for a 2013 DS if the kit is not available until 03/2013? There are listings for the antenna, the reciever and key fobs but is that all thats needed , and will it work? Have a customer who wants one before the snow flies..
Thanks for any information
vera6.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

vera6.4 - First post, Welcome to DealershipForum.

I'll defer to anyone who has more knowledge, but if it were me I'd try to encourage the customer to wait four months until the Remote Start Kit is available.

In my experience it seems like trying to piecemeal an accessory package together almost always turns into a headache. Even if you obtain all of the parts there's no assurance that they'll all work together without flashing the ECU or making some other adjustment. Additionally, it will likely be much more expensive to go the piecemeal route and your tech will be on his own if he needs any troubleshooting support.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
vera6.4

Thank you for the welcome

I readily agree with your assessment of the headache factor, unfortunately (some) Salesmen seem to think anything is possible and that parts departments have everything on hand ... so now I have a customer that is expecting one now.
vera6.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera6.4 View Post
... so now I have a customer that is expecting one now.
I can relate to your situation - now you're the "bad guy" who has to tell the customer something they don't want to hear.

You might want to suggest to your customer that it would be better to wait for the Mopar Remote Start Kit so your Service Department could add that option to the Vehicle Warranty Profile once the kit has been installed.

It's been awhile since I've used DealerConnect but I remember there was a process where a dealership could add accessories to a VIN number once a Mopar part had been installed. The purpose was to allow the accessories to be added to the VIN so Chrysler's Warranty System would accept Warranty Claims for repairs to that component - otherwise the claim would be rejected because Chrysler knew the vehicle wasn't built with that accessory.

With some customers knowing that the Mopar Remote Start kit will be added to their VIN might slow them down enough to wait for the kit.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Adpros

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The purpose was to allow the accessories to be added to the VIN so Chrysler's Warranty System would accept Warranty Claims for repairs to that component - otherwise the claim would be rejected because Chrysler knew the vehicle wasn't built with that accessory.

With some customers knowing that the Mopar Remote Start kit will be added to their VIN might slow them down enough to wait for the kit.
The other side of the coin is diagnostics. Without a proper addition to the build code, diagnostics is not supported by Witech. Chances are added items will not even be displayed in the vehicle topology so there can't be a proper diag if the components don't work together properly.

Old post, I know...
Adpros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Stoferin

tfw a customer wants me to rig together a remote start kit on their 2002 Dodge Truck....

Worse, tfw a customer wants me to upgrade their "Standard" mirrors to fancy "Deluxe Tow Mirrors"...

>W-what do you mean the mirrors aren't compatible??? I want them! :'(
Stoferin is offline   Reply With Quote