Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
scooter

Default April Fools

It has been awfully quite on the forum today, are people afraid of getting caught in an April Fool joke?????? I kept waitng to hear some news regarding Chrysler, Fiat, Obama, bankruptcy, etc and there is nothing out there....what is going on

Last edited by XDCX; 04-01-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Moved thread from the Midwest Region to the Main Section
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It has been awfully quite on the forum today, are people afraid of getting caught in an April Fool joke?????? I kept waitng to hear some news regarding Chrysler, Fiat, Obama, bankruptcy, etc and there is nothing out there....what is going on
Check out autoextremist.com He's got a pretty good one.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Thanks for reminding me - that was pretty good.

I normally make a point to read that site each Wednesday but totally forgot about it this morning.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
A big part of that's probably my fault....

Frankly, I'm not too positive on Chrysler's outlook at this point but I don't want to fill the site with a bunch of pessimistic threads.

At the same time, I can't force myself to "spin" Chrysler's situation into something it's not - that's better left for Jim Press.

As I mentioned in another thread, the ratio of posters to lurkers has dropped off over the past several weeks. To me, this site is at its best when there are a number of people posting about several different topics - it creates a certain amount of energy that feeds on itself.

It's also been a long time since I sent out a FAX in an effort to attract new members to the site. I'm planning to send one out over the next two days.

Thanks for starting the thread - you've said exactly what I've been thinking for the past two weeks.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
CarguyCO

Do me a favor...
Take us off your fax list....I want to be the only one on this site from my dealership
Or let me know when you'll send it so I can be the only one that sees the fax again!

Thanks
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Thanks for the post, that guy is out there....funny story Mr. Fu and Mr. King, that is great...
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
Do me a favor...
Take us off your fax list....I want to be the only one on this site from my dealership
Or let me know when you'll send it so I can be the only one that sees the fax again!

Thanks
Well that's the Team Spirit - no wonder I can't get this site to grow....

I've decided to delay the FAX until next week. It generally takes two days to send them out and I don't want them go out on a Friday.

It will also give me a chance to update the site with a new poll about the outcome of President Obama's 30 Day ultimatum for Chrysler.

On a different note, you should invite your managers to the site - we'd all love to hear how they've managed to maintain their strong sales volume in this tough market.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default I almost fell for the Car and Driver NASCAR hoax....

Concerning April Fools, you have no idea how close I was to starting a thread about President Obama forcing GM and Chrysler to drop NASCAR.

I saw the article on the Car and Driver website on March 31 and started to create a thread with a link to their site. I decided to do a Google News Search to double-check the story and grew suspicious when there were no other reports.

Car and Driver received so much negative reaction to the hoax that they dropped the webpage from their site and offered an apology.

Here's a link to a story USA Today did on the NASCAR hoax: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...x_N.htm?csp=34
Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
squish

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Concerning April Fools, you have no idea how close I was to starting a thread about President Obama forcing GM and Chrysler to drop NASCAR.
this story had my entire shop up in arms, they were fuming

i took one of the internet reports and made it look like an email from press and landry and handed it out to the techs. i sure had a good time with it. they did not. but once they figured it out we all got a good laugh.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
this story had my entire shop up in arms, they were fuming

i took one of the internet reports and made it look like an email from press and landry and handed it out to the techs. i sure had a good time with it. they did not. but once they figured it out we all got a good laugh.
That's awesome, I bet you had their blood pumping.

I was kind of surprised C&D took the webpage down - some people don't have too much humor when you start messing with NASCAR.

I guess the really sad part is the fact the story was so believable. Now that the government is involved with running GM and Chrysler almost anything's possible.