Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler closed Long Beach C/J

I don't know how I missed this one, but Chrysler closed Long Beach C/J shortly after they emerged from bankruptcy. Long Beach C/J was a Chrysler Marketing Investment store - commonly referred to as a Minority store.

To me the biggest surprise is Chrysler left Long Beach C/J on the "Going Forward" list and then shut them down after they emerged from Chapter 11.

The news report indicated that Chrysler leased the real estate from the former car dealer - I wonder if they used their Chapter 11 filing to break the lease? If so, that may explain the timing and why they would want the store to be on the "Going Forward" list. (Otherwise Chrysler MID would have been stuck with an OLDCO store and no ability to return parts and tools.)

Here's a link to the news report - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
possum

I think you nailed it on the returns.

We did not get that option.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I think you nailed it on the returns.

We did not get that option.
But Peter Grady said the selection process was "data driven."

It's not possible that Chrysler would allow their own selfish interest to interfere with the OLDCO/NEWCO selection process, is it?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
oldjeep

That is the soft landing that Press promised Congress. At least there was one !!
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
That is the soft landing that Press promised Congress. At least there was one !!
That's funny - I needed a laugh this morning.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
possum

I liked the "Project Genocide" !

That nailed it.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default Selective Enforcement of "Project Genesis"?

I thought of this thread when I read the results from Chrysler's first arbitration case. It was clear that "Project Genesis" was a heavily weighted factor when the arbitrator ruled in favor of Chrysler over Kidd Dodge.

But if Chrysler's "Project Genesis" is their key defense, why wasn't it applied uniformly in all markets? How can Chrysler exempt one store from "Project Genesis" and yet cling to their plan as an absolute defense?

I'm not an attorney, but how is this any different than selective enforcement of laws? Courts have ruled that the police cannot pick and choose when they decide to enforce a law and recognize selective enforcement as a defense.

And what about Ron Tonkin Dodge - a single point Dodge store in Metro Portland?