Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > East Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Old Colony Dodge plans to close

Newspaper reports indicate that Old Colony Dodge of Mansfield, MA plans to close their dealership later this month. For the full report - click here

While this story seems consistent with reports we've received concerning small/rural GM dealerships that were closing, there are a few things about Old Colony Dodge that seem odd to me.

First, the newspaper report indicates the current owners of New Colony Dodge, Manny Braga and Ted Bancroft, bought the dealership six years ago. Given Auburn Hill's quest to complete Project 2000 I'm surprised that Chrysler would have approved a buy/sell of a single point Dodge store when there's an existing Chrysler/Jeep store in the same market.

Second, I'm somewhat surprised a small single point store would have survived the OLDCO cuts. While I know there were some exceptions, I thought Chrysler was using their "once in a lifetime opportunity" to complete Project Alpha.

Third, I'm amazed the Dodge franchise doesn't have value to the existing Chrysler/Jeep dealer in town. Is this another example where the Dealer Principal should have contacted a broker before closing his store, or has the dealer already agreed to sell his Dodge franchise to the C/J store but it wasn't included in the story?

Regardless, it's sad to see another small/rural dealer closing shop.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Second, I'm somewhat surprised a small single point store would have survived the OLDCO cuts. While I know there were some exceptions, I thought Chrysler was using their "once in a lifetime opportunity" to complete Project Alpha.
I heard from one of our members that there's a bit of a back-story that explains why Old Colony Dodge wasn't cut as part of the OLDCO terminations. I don't have permission to post it here but it appears that BC relations/sympathy played a role in determining which stores would be terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Third, I'm amazed the Dodge franchise doesn't have value to the existing Chrysler/Jeep dealer in town. Is this another example where the Dealer Principal should have contacted a broker before closing his store, or has the dealer already agreed to sell his Dodge franchise to the C/J store but it wasn't included in the story?
I heard from a different member that Old Colony Dodge was listed with a broker at one time. I still wonder why the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer didn't buy the point just to eliminate the risk it would be sold to a competitor. I guess the C/J dealer figured he'd wait it out and save some money...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote