Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
JJRRACING

Default Tell us a Story...

About 5 years ago when we had SRT-4 Neon’s I had this young kid come in driving an older 98-01 R/T neon. Baggy Pants, hat on backwards and a general tool... Well NO-ONE would talk to this kid so I went out and "upped" him, about 15 mins later we are test driving the car, he said, OK ILL TAKE IT. great, how would you like to pay? He said Cash. Ok fine, kid went down to the bank and brought me back a check for the full amount, including tax, tags, extended warranty, simonize, tire and wheel package, and etching. After the paperwork is done we start talking about more personal ****. Well this little punk ass kid has had his own landscaping company since he was 14 (he was 20 at the time of the sale) and he saved his money. Fast forward to last week, He just purchased his 18th truck from me at Sticker, with all the protection. He tells everyone that we are the only dealership he will ever deal with, just because I was the only salesman to talk to him that day. The kid (well he's 25 now) has one of the largest Landscaping businesses in the area and is making BIG BUCKS.

In the 8 years I have been at this dealership I have made some of the greatest friends and business relationships: I met my wife and my Best friend here, Al Pitrelli from the trans Siberian orchestra (going to see him in Tennessee on Friday, all expenses paid)
Every thing that has been done on my house from roof, to kitchen, to driveway has been done by one of my customers, the landscaping dude even does a yearly landscape at my house every April.

I can go on for DAYS of dealership stories, so if this thread keeps going I will keep telling stories…
JJRRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
crowe

I got in this biz in 73’ about a yr later you couldn’t buy gas. The old guys said this biz would never be the same. I was too stupid to know the diff & I made almost 50K in 74’. A couple of yrs later prime rate hit 21% I was too hardheaded to change jobs I busted 80K in 80”. With all the gloom & doom of 09’ I had my best yr yet.

Good News & Bad News

BN 1900 + dealerships closed in 2009 & probably more than 2,000 will close in 2010.
GN w/ less stores to compete w/ even if the pie is smaller those left should get a bigger slice.

BN the last yr & half tracked about 10 mil units per yr after averaging 16 mil + per yr for 10 yrs.
GN eventually sales have to come back up cars wear out the scrapage rate, avg age & mileage are at all time highs. Pent-up demand has to be building & will bust loose soon.

BN lenders have tightened up.
GN lenders seemed to have loosened up some & they know cars loans are very profitable. If 2 yrs ago on a scale of 1-10 cars loans were a 10 they’re still a 7 or 8.

I’m still too stupid to quit & too old to learn new tricks, so I plan on making more $s than ever in 10’.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote