Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Nissan > Sales

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
John Schutz

Hi! I'm from the factory.. I'm here to help. Don't trust anyone from the factory. Get it in writing
John Schutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
jeff4713

does the movie "The Producers" mean anything?
jeff4713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4713 View Post
does the movie "The Producers" mean anything?
OK, I'll admit I had to look it up - click here

I guess I don't watch enough movies.....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Default Did the dealership ever sell?

I noticed the ad in Automotive News was dropped a long time ago but I was wondering whether the dealership ever sold or is it still part of Dorian's Auto Group?

Does anyone know who owns the dealership at this point?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I noticed the ad in Automotive News was dropped a long time ago but I was wondering whether the dealership ever sold or is it still part of Dorian's Auto Group?

Does anyone know who owns the dealership at this point?
I wondering if the store's still for sale?

The Dealership Listing that I highlighted with the red box below appears like it could be this dealership. Granted, there are a lot of Nissan stores in the Midwest but the mention of the facility and the reasonable terms sounds familiar.

Here's the listing from the broker:

Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
mryan55

Well, an update on this story:

I grew about 12 miles away from this location, so I happened to drive past it today while visiting family in the Metro Detroit area.

Looks like they found a 51%-er at some point and they name changed to "Macomb Nissan." I remember reading a press release to this effect some time in 2012. These days, the lot is 100% empty and overgrown, so it looks like it may have closed quite some time ago.

Someone lost their $300k in quick order!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Well, an update on this story:

I grew about 12 miles away from this location, so I happened to drive past it today while visiting family in the Metro Detroit area.

Looks like they found a 51%-er at some point and they name changed to "Macomb Nissan." I remember reading a press release to this effect some time in 2012. These days, the lot is 100% empty and overgrown, so it looks like it may have closed quite some time ago.

Thanks for the update - that's really interesting.

Part of me is surprised that a Nissan store in a metro market could fail given the overall strong car sales we've had for the past couple of years. I do remember starting a thread about another Nissan store that failed recently - click here - so I guess it's not unheard of.

Concerning the $300K - I agree, my bet is if someone ponied up the money to do that deal then the money is long gone. Most of the Buy-in/Buy-outs that I've been familiar with stipulate that the profits are split between both parties but the buyer owns 100% of the losses.

It sounds like the rent factor was a killer for this store. I wonder who holds the note for the real estate and what will happen to the location. If the price of the real estate and the rent factor was re-adjusted to reflect the current market the location might become viable again.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
mryan55

I remember seeing the video of the failed Kentucky dealership on Automotive News. It does happen...

I don't know enough people on the import side in the Detroit metro to get the skinny. I actually stepped foot in the dealership when it first opened as Boyland just to check it out (there is also a brand new, unrelated Volvo point next door that had also just built an image-compliant facility I wanted to check out). Brand new image compliant facility, all the reasons in the world to be successful. In 2009 the inventory was absolutely huge, but apparently things turned downward quickly.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
These days, the lot is 100% empty and overgrown, so it looks like it may have closed quite some time ago.

I wonder when the store closed?

Surprisingly, the Dealer's Website is still active - click here
Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #25
mryan55

I was up in the Macomb, Michigan area visiting family over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I noticed that this location is reopen as Sellers Subaru -- strangely enough, there is an article about the Sellers organization in Automotive News this week.

Thought I would provide everyone a bit of an update here. The Sellers organization is primarily in neighboring Oakland County, but obviously it was time for an expansion I suppose.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I was up in the Macomb, Michigan area visiting family over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I noticed that this location is reopen as Sellers Subaru -- strangely enough, there is an article about the Sellers organization in Automotive News this week.

Thought I would provide everyone a bit of an update here. The Sellers organization is primarily in neighboring Oakland County, but obviously it was time for an expansion I suppose.
I'm getting caught up and just read this thread. Thanks for the update.

I wonder if the property went through some form of bankruptcy to get the rent factor more closely aligned with the current market before the Subaru store opened?

While I know that Subaru can be a strong franchise is areas with cold weather/snow, I would question whether a Subaru store could succeed in a store where Nissan failed if the rent factor remained the same.