Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
57years

After reading the "strategy" of Chrysler killing the small cars, I wonder if I have been asleep like Rip Van Winkle.... What happened to the need of these manufacturers to build small cars in order to meet the CAFE standards by fleet averages?
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
After reading the "strategy" of Chrysler killing the small cars, I wonder if I have been asleep like Rip Van Winkle.... What happened to the need of these manufacturers to build small cars in order to meet the CAFE standards by fleet averages?
As long as the low fuel economy manufacturers can keep buying emission credits from the overachievers, I guess the CAFE is a non issue? I don't think anything has changed regarding CAFE though, so I'm sure that small car fuel economy will still matter... I guess we will see.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
I remember hearing stories back in the Iacocca days in the mid 80s Chrysler was actually contemplating dropping trucks all together and just becoming a car company. That was back when the minivans were red hot and almost all of Chrysler's product was based on the K-car platform. The old D/W trucks only had about an 8% market share so Auburn Hills was thinking about getting out to the truck business.

Oh how times have changed....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
As long as the low fuel economy manufacturers can keep buying emission credits from the overachievers, I guess the CAFE is a non issue? I don't think anything has changed regarding CAFE though, so I'm sure that small car fuel economy will still matter... I guess we will see.
That's my understanding too.

From what I've read I believe that CAFE standards will become significantly harder to meet in the future but I get the impression that the industry believes the government will eventually cave in to public pressure - especially if fuel prices remain low.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote