Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
possum

Default HALT Lexus GS 460

Auto News is reporting that Toyota will halt sales of the SUV, because Consumer Reports gave it a bad review...........

Are we giving this trash mag a bigger voice than it deserves?
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Txflyer

If Consumer Reports gave a Toyota/Lexus a bad review, the thing must self-detonate upon hitting the remote start button.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

I've only been reading the headlines so I don't feel like I'm well informed.

That said, the first impression I get is that Consumer Reports is over-reacting and trying to distance themselves from their tight association with Toyota.

As I understand it, CR's issue is with the stability control program that tries to prevent the driver from inducing a rear axle spin. Perhaps the software needs to be re-written to tighten-up when the stability system starts to take control of the vehicle, but I don't get the impression the vehicle is unsafe to drive or sell.

Again, maybe there's more to the story then I understand but that's my impression at this point.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
As I understand it, CR's issue is with the stability control program that tries to prevent the driver from inducing a rear axle spin. Perhaps the software needs to be re-written to tighten-up when the stability system starts to take control of the vehicle, but I don't get the impression the vehicle is unsafe to drive or sell.

Again, maybe there's more to the story then I understand but that's my impression at this point.
I've had a chance to do a little more reading about this issue and I remain convinced that Consumer Reports is over-reacting in an effort to distance themselves from their historic high praise of Toyota.

The fact is the GS 460 is no less safe than a vehicle that doesn't have a stability control system. Unless a person drives the GS 460 in a manner which induces a rear axle slide, they'll never experience the problem identified by Consumer Reports.

To be clear, if a customer pays for a stability control program they should get one that works, but I don't think this condition makes the vehicle unsafe to sell or drive.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Ralph

How much of consumer reports is subsidized by the government? That'll tell you their motives toot sweet.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Toyota resumes sales of the Lexus GX 460

Well, it appears the crisis induced by Consumer Reports is over and Toyota is now authorizing Lexus Dealers to sell the 2010 Lexus GX 460.

According the news reports Toyota developed a new software program for the Stability Control System. Here's a link to the full report - click here