Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Which vehicles will Chrysler kill-off?

Chrysler LLC's "Project Genesis" includes an aggressive plan to reduce the size of its Dealer Network. Part of the plan includes slashing 50% of the current product offerings - essentially forcing a single point store to consolidate to have access to a complete line of vehicles.

How do you slash 50% of your product line? There have been reports that Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge will be "re-branded:"
  • Chrysler = Car Franchise
  • Jeep = SUV Franchise
  • Dodge = Truck Franchise
If you accept this premise it's pretty easy to kill-off 50% of the current product line.

The only problem with this premise is Dodge's strength as a high-performance car brand. Could you sell a Chrysler Charger or a Chrysler Challenger?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default I'd be almost 100% certain that this Jeep's history....

If the Management Team at Chrysler is looking for vehicles to kill-off, I for one hope that they start here:

I'll never understand what Chrysler was thinking of when they released this vehicle. When they added the Patriot to the line-up, I was even more confused.

Thankfully, I think the days for the Jeep Compass are numbered.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default I'd be willing to bet that this one is gone too

I remember reading Dealer Council Meeting Minutes from the Jeep Dealers dating back to 1993 requesting a Jeep vehicle with two rear seats.

After 13 years of waiting, this is what they got:

In fairness, it's a very capable vehicle. (But a bit thirsty for fuel. ) It's too bad the styling had to be so objectionable.

I'd be willing to bet with almost 100% certainty that the Jeep Commander is history at the end of the 2008 or 2009 model year.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Rod Barajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
If the Management Team at Chrysler is looking for vehicles to kill-off, I for one hope that they start here:

I'll never understand what Chrysler was thinking of when they released this vehicle. When they added the Patriot to the line-up, I was even more confused.

Thankfully, I think the days for the Jeep Compass are numbered.
OMG It's my old kitchen egg timer with wheels!
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Barajas View Post
OMG It's my old kitchen egg timer with wheels!
That's so sad, but true.

The irony is that Jeep built a Concept Car like the Compass in 2002 and the public hated it. Why they decided to build one after such a poor public response is beyond me?

To add insult to injury they released the Patriot a year later. Now as a Jeep Dealer you have to add vehicles that are essentially identical to your floorline in an effort to have full coverage - it's insane.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's what the people at Allpar.com think....

If you're a true Chrysler Person and you spend any amount of time on the Internet, you've probably been to the Allpar.com website. It may not be a flashy/high-tech site, but it tends to have some great information.

Here's a link that provides their thoughts on which vehicles Chrysler will kill off: http://www.allpar.com/weblogs/2008/0...-what-will-go/

In a nutshell, their theory is based on Cerberus' desire to close plants and lay-off workers. Consistent with that theory they think the following vehicles are likely to be eliminated:
  • Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen
  • Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot and Dodge Caliber
  • Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro
  • Chrysler PT Cruiser
  • Dodge Dakota
They envision that a small car would be acquired from another manufacturer to fill the hole left by the Patriot and Caliber.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Angry Not the Viper.......

Only a "bean-counter" would have the gall to kill this car:

That said, I've read a number of different stories that suggest that the days might be numbered for the mighty Dodge Viper.

There are reported to be several reasons why it may be on the chopping block:
  • Chrysler loses money on the Viper Program when all costs are factored in.
  • Upcoming CAFE requirements make it difficult to keep a vehicle like this in the line-up.
  • Cerberus is really focused on closing plants and laying off workers - Viper has its own assembly plant.
  • It's too expensive to win the "super-car wars" now that Chevrolet has released their new Corvette.
  • The Dodge Challenger could be substituted as the brand's "Halo Car."
Most of the reports I've read suggest that the Viper will live until 2010 or 2011 and then be phased out.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
bruce350

I agree that many of the vehicles you mentioned should be and probably are headed for the chopping block. It's the problem with not having all of the stores selling all of the products. Aspen for the Chrysler or Chrysler Jeep stores, because they can't sell Durangos. That list goes on and on. But the question is:

What will be left to sell?
bruce350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce350 View Post
I agree that many of the vehicles you mentioned should be and probably are headed for the chopping block. It's the problem with not having all of the stores selling all of the products. Aspen for the Chrysler or Chrysler Jeep stores, because they can't sell Durangos. That list goes on and on. But the question is:

What will be left to sell?
I think that's why some single point Metro dealerships really fear Project Genesis. If you don't have the three brands under one roof in four years you'll be starved for product.

And yet, given all the uncertainty with Cerberus and the overall economy, do you really want to write a big check to buy out your neighboring dealer?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Jeep Commander on the short-timer list

The Jeep Commander is back in the news and it appears that it's on the short-timers list.

Current news reports suggest that the Commander will be eliminated in mid-2009. Based on current sales rates the Commander is likely to sell only 36,000 units this year.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
goodone414

The Commander may very well be the most Awesome vehicle we sell. Very quite, comfortable, drives like a 300 and the Hemi gets 17 MPG everyday. I hate to see it go, but I understand and even agree wuth the decision. It just doesn't sell. Chrysler didn't do a very good job marketing the it and it's just not a 7 passenger vehicle. In Chrysler's defense they had no way of know gas would be a kazillion dollars a gallon when they first developed the Commander. Still there is a lot of quality in the Commander and if a true prospect drives one they almost always buy it. Just not enogh true prospects. We have 11 SUV's and some 33 different vehicles total. Way to many !!!
goodone414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Default Should they kill the Jeep Liberty or the Dodge Nitro?

There have been several news reports indicating that Chrysler will kill either the Jeep Liberty or the Dodge Nitro for 2012.

In some ways it's a tough choice. The Nitro has been a sales disaster from day one and would hardly be missed. The Liberty, by contrast, has had a following but it competes almost directly with the Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot - a product decision that I'll never understand.

Which one do you think should die for 2012?

Will the Dodge Nitro live or die?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
goodone414

I think the Nitro is Gone. I would prefer they keep the Liberty and kill the Nitro and Patriot. Maybe rename the Liberty. How about coming back with the Cherokee badge for the Liberty?
goodone414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone414 View Post
I think the Nitro is Gone. I would prefer they keep the Liberty and kill the Nitro and Patriot. Maybe rename the Liberty. How about coming back with the Cherokee badge for the Liberty?
I agree about killing off the Nitro but question killing off the Patriot. I've hated the Jeep Compass from day one and would much rather have that vehicle sent to the scrap heap.

Concerning renaming the Liberty to Cherokee, I agree 100%. In fact, I think the export version of the Liberty is named Cherokee in Europe.

Concerning the Liberty, Compass and Patriot, I would have loved to be in the executive meeting where they decided that having three competing vehicles on the same showroom was a good idea.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

I just surfed the Internet and found Jeep's website for the UK - it was pretty interesting.

The Jeep Liberty is indeed called the Jeep Cherokee in Europe.

It was interesting to see that the only engine available for the Jeep Cherokee is the 2.8 liter diesel - there's no gas engine available. Even the Wrangler has a diesel engine option.

The Jeep Cherokee looked good - it just seemed like the steering wheel was on the wrong side.

Here's a link to the Jeep UK website: http://www.jeep.co.uk/cherokee/index.html