Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Great Topic for Dealership Management Meeting

In one of the Regional Sections I posted a thread where a local Dealer settled an Age Descrimination lawsuit for $100,000. Here's a link to that thread: $100K Settlement in Age Descrimination Lawsuit

The lawsuit was filed by U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission as part of the Federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

I just read another story where the same agency is suing another Dealer in New York for sexual harassment. In this case, the EEOC alleges that two female employees were harassed on the job and a male employee was assigned an offensive e-mail address.

Both of these stories would make an excellent discussion topic for a Dealership Management Meeting - especially in light of the comment by one EEOC Official that "the lawsuit should send a message to area employers."

Here's a link to the story from New York: http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/234017.html
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Not to be too depressing....

As I read through my posts last night, this was another topic that struct me as being too negative. (Who wants to visit a website that has nothing but depressing news?)

My reason for posting these stories was to provide General Managers and Dealer Principals a topic of conversation for a Manager's Meeting. Everyone is in agreement that workplace harassment is wrong - that's not the point.

My point was that there's nothing worse for a business than to find out that you're being sued by the U.S. Government. How do you fund your defense when you know your opponent has a staff of attorneys that are looking to "make an example" for other employers?

With the two examples cited in this post I think a Dealer Principal or GM could make a meaningful impact on his/her Managers that workplace harassment is a real issue and the EEOC laws should not be taken lightly.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

I ran across another news report that provides additional information about the dealership in New York that is being sued by the Federal Government's E.E.O.C. Division. It details what actions had taken place to initiate the lawsuit.

It appears the E.E.O.C. reviews two variables - What was the initial behavior and how did management react when the issue was brought to their attention? In this instance, a more pro-active reaction by the dealership's senior management team may have prevented the lawsuit.

Do your employees know how the dealership's senior management feels about these type of comments/actions?

Here's a link to the news report: http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...354205501.html
Old 01-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default E.E.O.C. settles Age Discrimination Suit for $70K

News reports indicate that the E.E.O.C. has settled an Age Discrimination suit against a Delaware Dealership for $70K.

The suit alleged that the dealership had a policy of discharging drivers just before they reached the age of 75. The dealership used the drivers to perform dealer trades and pick-up/return customer service vehicles.

Here's a link to the news report: http://www.capegazette.com/storiescu...ton122107.html
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
NCVW57

I've worked in 2 dealerships, Honda and VW. One thing I found very quickly is that when you spend 60 hours a week with the same people, you develop more than a work relationship with them.

You could easily define half of the things we say to eachother as a violation of EEO. We very normally make sexual comments, curse, or insult eachother. It's all taken in stride and we can all take a joke. If something crosses the line no one has ever had a problem letting anyone else know.

While this wouldn't fly in most other work environments, you might find that it's almost necessary in this business.

Just a thought.
NCVW57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

NCVW57 - welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

I think you are 100% correct. First, the car business is different and second, most retail people spend a ton of time at work. It's almost a given that something questionable is going to be said sooner or later.

I guess the message for the Dealers and GMs would be to make sure they have systems in place that keep things from getting out of control. It appears that these actions could have been stopped in their tracks if the dealership's senior management would have taken a pro-active approach.

Thanks again for the post and please help spread the word about DealershipForum.com.