Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default New Dealership Websites for CJD Dealers

I noticed that Chrysler recently changed their Corporate Dealer Websites to the Dealer.com format.

Any comments on the change?

Do many of your customers access your dealership via the Factory site or do they use your dealership's own website instead?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Do the Dealers have to pay for the new sites?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that Chrysler's charging the dealers for the new websites.

It also appears that the dealers are being charged for Internet Sales Leads $15 per Sales Lead.

Are these optional programs or just another monthly expense from the factory?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
goodone414

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that Chrysler's charging the dealers for the new websites.

It also appears that the dealers are being charged for Internet Sales Leads $15 per Sales Lead.

Are these optional programs or just another monthly expense from the factory?
It is optional. The fee is $18 per lead unless your located in NC. NC dealers pay a flat fee based on size. Fees range from $99 mo to $299 mo. We are a B size dealer and we pay $149 mo.
goodone414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone414 View Post
It is optional. The fee is $18 per lead unless your located in NC. NC dealers pay a flat fee based on size. Fees range from $99 mo to $299 mo. We are a B size dealer and we pay $149 mo.
Thanks for the information - I'm pleased to learn that it's not a forced program.

I wonder if the websites were an "opt-out" type of enrollment? The reason I ask is that I haven't found a dealer yet that doesn't have the new Dealer.com style website.

I like the look of the new sites, my only criticism would be that my browser blocks "pop-up" windows so I have to click on a warning message to allow the new page to open. I wonder if that extra step would cause many potential customers to just click-away to another site?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
goodone414

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the information - I'm pleased to learn that it's not a forced program.

I wonder if the websites were an "opt-out" type of enrollment? The reason I ask is that I haven't found a dealer yet that doesn't have the new Dealer.com style website.

I like the look of the new sites, my only criticism would be that my browser blocks "pop-up" windows so I have to click on a warning message to allow the new page to open. I wonder if that extra step would cause many potential customers to just click-away to another site?
October was FREE for all dealers so no one has opted out yet i guess. Although I am sure not all dealers will continue the service.
goodone414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
mopar4life

As our dealership internet manager, I do like the flexibility of the Dealer.com website. The ability to change templates/pics/vehicle info is very user friendly & easy to use. Dealer.com put a lot of time into saving us dealers a lot of time. I'm not a fan of any of the lead manager tools. I'm using Cobalt's now along with the trial Dealer.com & find that they are nothing but a waste of time & money. I like to prospect not chase down internet tire kickers!!!
mopar4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
dafuzz1956

Sorry not to be neg, but with $ so tight right now, we don't need any more cost to take from the bottom line. You might think that they could find a way to assist with products, such as this, and reduce the cost to nothing because free or not any prospective shot we get we seek until they buy or die. My internet guy is like a blood hound and he keeps every record of any interaction or email. So why not decrease the cost to 0 ? MONEY IS TIGHTER FOR US THAN IT IS FOR THEM
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
ssdd

more cost shifting to the dealers
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
dafuzz1956

Amen Brother
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar4life View Post
As our dealership internet manager, I do like the flexibility of the Dealer.com website. The ability to change templates/pics/vehicle info is very user friendly & easy to use. Dealer.com put a lot of time into saving us dealers a lot of time. I'm not a fan of any of the lead manager tools. I'm using Cobalt's now along with the trial Dealer.com & find that they are nothing but a waste of time & money. I like to prospect not chase down internet tire kickers!!!
Thanks for the information - I'm pleased to hear that the site is easy to use.

Concerning your comment about Internet tire kickers, I think you hit the nail on the head. My bet is that the future for paid Internet leads is limited - so much time is wasted chasing customers who have no interest in purchasing a vehicle. The fact that you have to pay for the lead just adds insult to injury.

On a different note, what do you do to promote your Used Vehicles on the Internet? AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc.?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuzz1956 View Post
Sorry not to be neg, but with $ so tight right now, we don't need any more cost to take from the bottom line. You might think that they could find a way to assist with products, such as this, and reduce the cost to nothing because free or not any prospective shot we get we seek until they buy or die. My internet guy is like a blood hound and he keeps every record of any interaction or email. So why not decrease the cost to 0 ? MONEY IS TIGHTER FOR US THAN IT IS FOR THEM
There are so many dealers that are just barely hanging on that I thought it was surprising that they were adding another monthly expense.

On the plus side, at least the program is optional. But I bet a lot of dealers don't even know that they're paying for it - it's just another expense on the Dealer Statement.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
mopar4life

We used Autotrader for a short period but in my opinion a "waste of money". The web is SO overloaded with advertising & bs that I prefer to market my used inventory by simple consistancy, local market targeting & simple information. I'm not looking to move my 2005 Gand Caravan to someone 4 counties over. They are a dime-a-dozen along with many other models. I have my own theories on internet shopping/browsing/tire kicking & could knaw your ear off about it. We have been paying $25/mth for our simple website but it is very effective because of consistancy, repeat visitors & most importantly--accurate up-to-the-minute inventory with REAL pics (35-40% of our used deals come from our site indirectly). It's a lot of work but it keeps me sharp with my inventory, pricing, features.....(been webbing for 12+ years).
mopar4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar4life View Post
We used Autotrader for a short period but in my opinion a "waste of money". The web is SO overloaded with advertising & bs that I prefer to market my used inventory by simple consistancy, local market targeting & simple information. I'm not looking to move my 2005 Gand Caravan to someone 4 counties over. They are a dime-a-dozen along with many other models. I have my own theories on internet shopping/browsing/tire kicking & could knaw your ear off about it. We have been paying $25/mth for our simple website but it is very effective because of consistancy, repeat visitors & most importantly--accurate up-to-the-minute inventory with REAL pics (35-40% of our used deals come from our site indirectly). It's a lot of work but it keeps me sharp with my inventory, pricing, features.....(been webbing for 12+ years).
Thanks for the information.

I've heard the same complaint from other dealers about AutoTrader and Cars.com. I knew one AutoTrader dealer that was frustrated that he could do a search for a vehicle he had in his used car inventory using the store's Zip Code as the search point and not have is unit make the first page.

All of the search results on the first page were from "Premium" dealers outside of his market area. Essentially AutoTrader was sending his local customers outside of his market because the neighboring dealerships stepped up for a "Premium" account.

Concerning your own website, for $25/month it sounds like a great deal. It will be interesting to see if the new Dealer.com website results in increased inquiries and sales.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
RCC

Default Hate It

The new system is slow and not fun to navigate. I do not like it at all. The biggest problem is we have to go to .net now instead of .com all bis cards and letter head ect... is .com dont want to pay to change all now, money is to tight. FIX IT GUYS
RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCC View Post
The new system is slow and not fun to navigate. I do not like it at all. The biggest problem is we have to go to .net now instead of .com all bis cards and letter head ect... is .com dont want to pay to change all now, money is to tight. FIX IT GUYS
Thanks for the input and Welcome to DealershipForum.com

I'm not sure that I understand the issue with the .com versus the .net.

What site do you get when you use your old .com address? Would it be possible just to have the host do a URL Forward command?