Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Embarassing quality issues for two Jeep Wranglers out of the Toledo plant

Granted, mistakes can happen when you're building thousands of vehicles but it appears whoever Chrysler has on Quality Control at their Jeep Wrangler plant in Toledo may need a vision check.

Reports from Jalopnik show that two 2012 Wranglers have been delivered to dealers recently where the fenders are different colors. In one case the difference is pretty subtle - a flat black fender versus a glossy black fender but in the other case the difference is as clear as black and white.

Here's a picture of one of the Wranglers:

Here's a link to the two Jalopnik reports:Jalopnik cuts Chrysler some slack and suggests the problem may have happened at the dealership. That's possible, but I'd bet 100 to 1 against it.

On a final note, it does appear the second Wrangler slipped through the dealer's PDI process - the vehicle's currently for sale on Ebay and it doesn't appear that anyone noticed the obvious quality issue - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Lakeshow

I haven't seen mistakes like that for a long time. We used to get Buicks with Olds steering wheels or hubcaps from time to time. Same with Chevy/GMC trucks.

One of the worst quality issues was a 2010 Enclave built during BK. It came off the hauler with both edges of the hood and fender peeling paint. The hood/fenders were so out of alignment they had to force it shut taking the paint with it. And these monkeys make $80/hr, go figure.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

I agree, I don't hear about too many quality issues lately either and I don't think these two Wranglers are representative of Toledo's build quality.

It seems that most of Chrysler's historic quality issues (paint, 2.7 engine, A-604 Transmission, Jeep rear end noise, etc.) have been design failures or an effort to drive down the cost of the vehicle at the expense of quality. There haven't been too many issues relating to build quality.

On a side note, when was the last time you heard anything about J.D. Powers? I think vehicle quality is mostly a non-issue with most new car buyers.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
jdemonto

Its baffles my mind that not a single soul noticed......noticed and didn't care sounds more like it. The union is EVIL

Jason
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Its baffles my mind that not a single soul noticed......noticed and didn't care sounds more like it.
I agree. In fairness to Chrysler, that oversight applies to the dealer too.

I sent the dealer an email this weekend alerting him to the story in Jalopnik and suggesting he correct his Ebay ad but never heard a word back and the Ebay ad is still running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
The union is EVIL
I've never been a big fan of the UAW either, but you have to give them credit they just extracted a $5,000 "signing bonus" out of GM. I haven't read all of the details but the headlines suggest GM caved in to the UAW - repeating the mistakes of the past.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
danderson

I remember some years back we got a Chevrolet Suburban in and on one side of the vehicle all the badging was Chevrolet and on the other side of the truck the entire other side was trimmed out in GMC emblems.

Another one that comes to mind is the Chevrolet Kodiak (I know, a looong time ago) came in and the entire front of the truck was a GMC. What a mess that was to get it all switched back and then get reimbursed for it....
danderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
bambam93

We had a VW Routan (aka Dodge Grand Caravan) arrive with the Stow N Go emblems, even though the VW doesn't have Stow N Go (minor compared to two different fenders).
bambam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I would think you could market the hell out of those quality issues as a "rarity" if the factory was giving you a hard time getting those fixed. Might be a way to bring some people in.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
ohiobuckeyes

got an email back from the dealer. Wrangler sold and it was corrected, from the tone of the email it sounds like he must of gotten alot of emails about this issue and was very ped off.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I would think you could market the hell out of those quality issues as a "rarity" if the factory was giving you a hard time getting those fixed. Might be a way to bring some people in.
That's an interesting thought but I bet it would take the right car and proper documentation to really make it a marketable opportunity.

If an OEM mis-built one of their image cars like a Mustang, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, etc. and the dealer could document it I could see that car bringing a premium at a Barrett-Jackson auction 20 years later. It would be similar to the added value a coin might have if it had a stamping error but made it into circulation.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
got an email back from the dealer. Wrangler sold and it was corrected, from the tone of the email it sounds like he must of gotten alot of emails about this issue and was very ped off.
That's funny - at least you got a response back. I never heard back from the email I sent even though someone from that store used to be a member here.