Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
steve_biegler

Default 500 Test Drive

http://wardsauto.com/ar/fiat_500_buzz_110225/

First I've seen.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
JoeRocket

Meh....I hope it is a bigger hit than I think it will be.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
DealerEx

I hope it does well, but WOW... I've never read a car review quite like that one. Ol' Ed really uses some unusual descriptive phrases: charming profile suggests a sensuous wine bottle...bold nose...impish outline...wide hips...with an enchanting view from behind...creating a fashion renaissance...chic-ly styled dash in black or a "stunning" ivory...invites an emotional investment...the horn lacks "sass", it blares as if the car had a vinyl top with the word "brougham" on it. Think maybe Ed would be better suited to designing some of Sergio's sweaters??? "Not that there's anything wrong with that"-LOL
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
I hope it does well, but WOW... I've never read a car review quite like that one. Ol' Ed really uses some unusual descriptive phrases: charming profile suggests a sensuous wine bottle...bold nose...impish outline...wide hips...with an enchanting view from behind...creating a fashion renaissance...chic-ly styled dash in black or a "stunning" ivory...invites an emotional investment...the horn lacks "sass", it blares as if the car had a vinyl top with the word "brougham" on it. Think maybe Ed would be better suited to designing some of Sergio's sweaters???
That's exactly what I thought when I finished reading that article. My first thought was, "I guess this is why I never read Wards...."

To be clear, I thank Steve for starting this thread and it will be interesting to see how the automotive press responds to the Fiat 500.

From a dealer's standpoint I think there are some concerns. As I understand it the first run of vehicles will be available only with a manual transmission - I'm guessing that will turn a large percentage of the early shoppers away from the vehicle. I also think the EPA ratings are somewhat disappointing given the size and power of the vehicle.

I also read a headline in Automotive News that the Fiat 500's running behind schedule and will launch later than planned - I haven't read the full article yet.

That said, I do think the vehicle is stylish and will attract some initial interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
"Not that there's anything wrong with that"-LOL
That's one of my favorite line from Sienfeld.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's the AutoBlog report on their Fiat 500 Test Drive

Here's a link to the report AutoBlog did following their test drive of the Fiat 500 - click here

Overall, they're very positive about the vehicle and they think it may turn out to be a sales success in the U.S.

Personally, I think the model names are goofy (Pop, Sport, Lounge) and the EPA Ratings are not competitive - 30/38 with a manual and 27/34 with an automatic. Beyond that, I think it's a great looking little car that has a lot of promise.

My major complaint remains unchanged: A separate franchise for Fiat is insane - ALL of Chrysler's dealers should have access to the Fiat 500.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's another interesting Fiat 500 Test Drive report

Here's a link to a Test Drive report that was done by The Truth About Cars website - click here (Thanks to Andrew for sending me the link. )

While the reporter loved the styling of the Fiat 500, the power of the 1.4 Multi-Air engine and the overall ride quality were questioned. It's one of the most critical reviews of the Fiat 500 I've read so far.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
debjay

Just wondering, how many of you in the forum would purchase a Fiat 500 for your self personally if you were in the market for a new car??????
debjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjay View Post
Just wondering, how many of you in the forum would purchase a Fiat 500 for your self personally if you were in the market for a new car??????
Not I said the ex-Chrysler dealer.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Not I said the ex-Chrysler dealer.
DITTO I say
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
srt

It's not me nor is it my wife. I should mention the odds are real long that I would ever put money in any Fiat.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
possum

Dealer, or not, I wouldn't drive one as a "gift". It's just nothing I would even consider.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
jayhawk

our closest fiat dealer is an hour and a half away. buying toys without local service and warranty support is one thing, but most real people wont buy transportation theyr'e dependant on without knowing a dealership is close to them for support. we feel there are other reasons for stand alone fiat stores and an emphasis on chrysler, dodge, jeep, and now ram, as distinct, stand alone brands . are we alone in our paranoia???
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
are we alone in our paranoia???
No, I think I've been fostering that paranoia since I first heard about Marchionne's plans for a separate Fiat dealer network.

If 15% of Hyundai's dealers lose money because they don't have high service and parts absorption, how is a stand-alone Fiat store supposed to make it?

I still think there's a hidden agenda with the Fiat dealer network because it simply doesn't make sense based on Chrysler's stated agenda.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
When I first learned of the Fiat 500, I liked it. In fact, I liked it a lot and I was really excited that the vehicle would bring 100% "plus" business for the CJDR dealers. (There's no other vehicle like it in the Chrysler line-up.)

That said, that was almost two years ago and a lot has changed. As I've stated before, I lost interest in the Fiat 500 as soon as I learned about Marchionne's plans for a separate Fiat dealer network.

Additionally, the competitive landscape has changed too. Fiat's Multi-air technology may not be as revolutionary as we were lead to believe and I think many buyers would rather have a Lexus iQ instead of a Fiat 500.

So, in answer to your question, while I'd like to drive one someday, I have no interest in owning a Fiat 500.