Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default How will the customers respond?

At this point, I guess the real question is how the customers will respond to Chrysler's bankruptcy filing.

There are "experts" who have reported that the public is desensitized to the whole bankruptcy issue and the filing will not impact sales. Hopefully they're right.

Any thoughts on what Chrysler's bankruptcy filing will do to sales and traffic?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
jules4jeeps

I think to some degree, that is accurate. But I must say, these past few months have been demoralizing, degrading, and extremely frustrating. The lack of info and lack of cohesiveness in a message was stunning. Most of what I told customers I guessed at and then fortunately proved to be right via what I heard on the news or read online a few days later.

I hope the FIAT Mgmt team gets us together soon, and gets the MESSAGE they want projected into our brains quickly. This murkiness is not good.
jules4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Jules - great comments.

I think there are thousands of other people on the "front lines" who feel exactly the same way.

To his credit, the President delivered a good speech today. While there's a huge part of me that resents the fact he's blaming hedge funds for causing Chrysler's bankruptcy, I acknowledge that his message was what America wanted to hear.

Americans needed to hear some positive words about Chrysler's future and thankfully the President provided them.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Link to the President's Speech

For those that may have missed it, here's a link to the President's speech concerning Chrysler's future - click here
Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
scooter

Hey, we sold a new 2009 Dodge Ram2500 4x4 today....as the customer is signing the papers, his cell phone rings and you can hear the person on the other end of the phone say "you're at a Chrysler dealer, you know they just went bankrupt,"....the customer said, "yeah I know,"...he continued to sign and drove away in his new truck....hope this is a sign of things to come....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
dafuzz1956

Same thing happened here, the customer wrote the deal yesterday and when he came in to pick up his T & C he said he wanted to get home to watch the announcement. I hope others still feel the same way and buy the product and the dealer not what the media has to say.

On a side note the green bay news came down again to interview Mr. Mueller about todays announcement. He gave a good interview I hope they don't do him wrong.
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
jules4jeeps

Yep, delivered a pre sold 09 Patriot @ 2pm...got her off CU financing and signed her with ours, Gap, & VSC...I am so glad I am at a Jeep dealer. Jeep is going keep us alive. I own one, love selling them...gli amano la mia jeep! (I love my Jeep in Italian

this website was very helpful...http://www.reverso.net/text_translation.asp?lang=EN
Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
dafuzz1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4jeeps View Post
Yep, delivered a pre sold 09 Patriot @ 2pm...got her off CU financing and signed her with ours, Gap, & VSC...I am so glad I am at a Jeep dealer. Jeep is going keep us alive. I own one, love selling them...gli amano la mia jeep! (I love my Jeep in Italian

this website was very helpful...http://www.reverso.net/text_translation.asp?lang=EN
So are you saying we may need this in the future ? or do we always greet everyone with "HOW YOU DOIN ?"
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
jules4jeeps

All I know is that if Mr Marchione or his associates visit my dealership it might be nice to deliver my love of the Jeep brand in his first language. Now comes the fight to stay in the boat, ya know?:shades:
Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
jdemonto

I am sure consumers will remind us of the chapter 11 filing I just hope this does not slow us down. The biggest issue we do face in 45-60 days will be lack of inventory. Thats good but also bad.....

Jason
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #11
possum

If you need Inventory, please call. We will move anything, but bring a Cashiers Check.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I am sure consumers will remind us of the chapter 11 filing I just hope this does not slow us down. The biggest issue we do face in 45-60 days will be lack of inventory. Thats good but also bad.....

Jason
Inventory could prove to be a real wild-card.

If the assembly plants remain closed while Chrysler's still in the bankruptcy process the situation will get real interesting. Based on what I've read, there are no bankruptcy experts who think Chrysler can exit bankruptcy in 60 days.

That said, when Chrysler begins to terminate dealers as part of their bankruptcy plans that inventory will be available for redistribution.

The question I have is whether the assembly plants are closed by choice or by requirement?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The question I have is whether the assembly plants are closed by choice or by requirement?
My guess is that a big factor was the question of component availability. From what I've read much of their parts supplier base is sitting on shipments until they determine how/when/if they'll be paid.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
My guess is that a big factor was the question of component availability. From what I've read much of their parts supplier base is sitting on shipments until they determine how/when/if they'll be paid.
It looks like the same issue will hold with Mopar Parts - once the depots start to run out of inventory there could be a problem. Hopefully they'll be able to make payments to key suppliers and keep back-orders to a minimum.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
MWertheim

I had read in a press release that they would re-open PARTS manufacturing if stocks were running out and complaints were filed. In terms of vehicles, I'm afraid we're on our own. Our stock is depleted as it is, and I just got another Wrangler out
In terms of customer perception, I have to say, I've had a few customers come in and ask me, right after I shook their hand and introduced myself, are we going to be here when it comes time for his/her first oil change? It's a tough spot as a salesman, as has been noted, there truly HASN'T been a strong, consistent message from anyone regarding the answer until the past week or so. I have done my best to re-assure my current and potential future customers, but traffic is down notably. Here's to hoping... Mark W.
MWertheim is offline   Reply With Quote