Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #46
XDCX
Administrator

Default UW Huskies beat University of Hawaii

It wasn't necessarily pretty, but it was a victory none the less as the UW Huskies defeated the U of H Warriors 40 to 32.

On a side note, the Huskies scored two points in the fourth quarter by returning a blocked PAT kick. I've got to be honest, I thought it was a dead ball but that rule doesn't apply to NCAA football. In the NFL and High School football a blocked PAT would result in a dead ball but the NCAA has a different rule and the ball is live and the defense has the opportunity to score two points.

I like the NCAA rule - makes the game that much more interesting/risky.

Side note #2 - Who the hell thought it was a good idea to teach the punters to kick rugby style? The Huskies punter "whiffed" the ball when he tried a rugby kick and resulted in a -5 yard punt. U of H scored shortly after that mistake.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #47
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I think Notre Dame need to get out of the independent boat. I've been a fan as long as I have been able to walk and even I am sick of them being coddled on NBC. It's time for some real competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Be careful what you wish for......
It's like deja vu all over again......
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #48
57years

Quote:
It wasn't necessarily pretty, but it was a victory none the less as the UW Huskies defeated the U of H Warriors 40 to 32.

On a side note, the Huskies scored two points in the fourth quarter by returning a blocked PAT kick. I've got to be honest, I thought it was a dead ball but that rule doesn't apply to NCAA football. In the NFL and High School football a blocked PAT would result in a dead ball but the NCAA has a different rule and the ball is live and the defense has the opportunity to score two points.

I like the NCAA rule - makes the game that much more interesting/risky.

Side note #2 - Who the hell thought it was a good idea to teach the punters to kick rugby style? The Huskies punter "whiffed" the ball when he tried a rugby kick and resulted in a -5 yard punt. U of H scored shortly after that mistake.

Was the punter a "legal" or an "undocumented American?"
57years is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #49
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Was the punter a "legal" or an "undocumented American?"
I'm quite sure he's "legal." In fact, based on everything I've read he's a nice kid who started at the UW as a walk-on and later got a scholarship when he earned the top position.

I guess some kickers have had success with the rugby style kick but it seems risky to try something new when the game is still tight and all you need is an average distance punt.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #50
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's the latest on the Conference Expansion saga

Here's an interesting article that recaps the latest events in the NCAA Conference Expansion saga - click here

Word is that officials from Texas met with officials from Oklahoma in an effort to convince Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to stay in the Big 12. That's not going to happen and the author of the report expects Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to seek admission into the PAC-12 shortly after Texas A&M is accepted into the SEC.

At this point the great unknown is what happens to Texas? If they go to the PAC-12 they lose their TV deal with the "Longhorn Network" so there's a chance they'll try to go independent or join the ACC - time will tell.

What about Texas Tech? Word is they're being held hostage by Texas because the PAC-12 won't issue an invitation to Texas Tech unless they've got a deal with Texas too. It should be interesting to watch this situation unfold....
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #51
possum

In covering West Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, Texas Tech has a huge following. Not as big as 'mama Texas, but not too shabby.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #52
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
In covering West Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, Texas Tech has a huge following. Not as big as 'mama Texas, but not too shabby.
I've read that some fans are enjoying watching Texas squirm as they try to figure out how to play their hand. Texas had so much power as the top dog in the Big 12 that it has to be humbling for them to have a portion of their future in the hands of other teams.

It will be interesting to see what the ACC brings to the table. If Texas really wants to keep their Longhorn Network that may be the direction they go.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #53
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I've read that some fans are enjoying watching Texas squirm as they try to figure out how to play their hand. Texas had so much power as the top dog in the Big 12 that it has to be humbling for them to have a portion of their future in the hands of other teams.
Here's an article that really taps into the issue described above - click here

It's amazing how different the landscape looks for UT compared to where they were last year.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
XDCX
Administrator

Default Congratulations to Notre Dame for beating #15 Michigan State

Quote:
It's like deja vu all over again......
I was thinking of SHACOS when I noticed that one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Football was Notre Dame's victory over #15 Michigan State.

The Irish were off to a tough start for 2011 - Congratulations on a great victory.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #55
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies lose to Nebraska - Six game winning streak come to an end

Well the Huskies six game winning streak is over with Saturday's loss to #11 ranked Nebraska.

Overall I thought the Huskies played well and they could have won the game if they wouldn't have made some key mistakes.

The officiating was also poor on at least three occasions - it's almost like the officials were using a different rule book when it came to making a call whether a receiver was interfered with on a punt return. The days of the "halo" are over and if you don't signal for a fair catch you're going to get hit. (Sorry for the rant...)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #56
XDCX
Administrator

Default Syracuse and Pittsburgh headed to the ACC

The ACC officially announced they're going to add Syracuse and Pittsburgh to their conference and they seem to be sending a signal that Texas is not likely to be headed their direction.

Texas will likely be left with two option - figure out a way to make their Longhorn Network work with the Pac-12's revenue sharing program or go independent. I'm betting they go to the Pac-12 with Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State rounding out the conference to the Pac-16.

Regardless of Texas' decision, the days of the Big 12 appear to be numbered.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #57
XDCX
Administrator

Default Villanova has applied to the ACC - (So have nine other schools)

The latest report is that Villanova has applied to the ACC and at least nine other schools have expressed an interest in joining the ACC Conference.

Here's a link to the full report - click here

There's some speculation that the ACC wants to become the super-power of College Basketball and not focus as much attention on football. That's an interesting thought and may prove to be a winning strategy.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #58
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies win but it wasn't pretty

The Huskies beat California 31 - 23 but the game was closer than the score would indicate.

It was a good win for the Huskies but it was a hard game to watch as a Husky fan. It's frustrating when you realize your best prospect for a pass defense is hoping the receiver trips and falls down.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #59
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Conference Expansion Dead or is this just a bluff by Texas?

I stop following the Conference Expansion story for a few days so I can take a road trip to Las Vegas and the whole situation changes overnight.

Before I left for Vegas it appeared almost certain that the Big 12 was dead and Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech were headed to the Pac-12. I get back from Vegas and the Pac-16 plans are history and there appears to be an effort to revive the Big 12.

Based on what I've read the deal, once again, came down to Texas and their unwillingness to compromise with their Longhorn Network. Without Texas the Pac-12 wasn't willing to add the two Oklahoma schools and go to a 14 team conference.

If you take all of the statements made by the various officials at face value it appears the Pac-16 is dead and there's nothing in the works. Time will tell....
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #60
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies beat Utah and looked pretty decent

It was a good weekend....

Not only did the Huskies beat Utah they looked pretty good doing it. Even better, they have a bye this coming Saturday which should give them a chance to heal some nagging injuries.

Concerning Utah, they were definitely in the game for the first half but it's almost impossible to win a football game when you turn the ball over five times.