Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Feds investigate stalling complaints on Hemi powered Chrysler 300s and Dodge Chargers

News reports indicate the Federal Government is investigating engine stalling complaints on 192,000 2006 model year Chrysler 300s, Dodge Chargers and Dodge Magnums equipped with a HEMI engine. For the full report - click here

While I typically wouldn't create a thread on the forum for this type of news the reported condition hits close to home since my father has a 2006 Chrysler 300C that does the exact same thing.

If the gas tank is filled over 85% capacity the vehicle will almost always exhibit an engine stalling condition that lasts until two or three gallons of fuel are burned off. While engine stalling is never a good thing, the situation with the subject vehicles is even worse because they're hard to restart. It appears the vehicles stall because raw fuel is purged to the throttle body instead of fuel vapors and the excessive fuel causes the engine to stall. Restarts are difficult because the engine is flooded and it takes a fair amount of cranking before an acceptable air/fuel mixture is achieved.

I've done some reading on various forums and it appears the problem is caused by a collapsed fuel tank that causes the evap system to intake raw fuel instead of vapors. Most dealers want to replace the fuel tank and the evap canister and the repair cost is between $1,500 - $2,000.

Has anyone else run across this condition?

The cheap fix is to never fill the car past 7/8ths of a tank but that seems like a hay-seed solution.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Adpros

This seems to be a recurring problem with many of the vehicles in our shop. All I can add is that even at the training center the common fix is not to repeatedly let the pump handle click off. So many of our dads grew up doing just this and will not admit it to anyone.

The 300c or LX also had issues with the connections at the fuel pump modules. They were the subject of a few recalls. (One I remember was the passenger side running dry and causing a stall while the driver's side was quite full.)
Adpros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the information.

In the case of my father's 300C, all you have to do is let the tank fill to the first click and you're doomed. It's not an issue of "topping off the tank" it's simply letting the tank fill until the pump shuts off.

If the tank is filled to the first click there's almost a 100% chance the engine will exhibit the stalling condition.

One correction, however, I later remembered that my father's 300C is a 2005 model year, not a 2006. Hopefully NHTSA is looking in to both years.

On a different note, I read on one forum that a "shade-tree" repair for this condition is to install a fuel filter in the line that leads from the evaporative canister to the throttle body. The concept is the fuel filter prevents raw fuel from going to the throttle body and the cardboard element gives the fuel a chance to atomize where it has a better chance of being burned by the engine without stalling.

If Chrysler is required to fix this condition I wonder if they'll engineer a low cost alternative to replacing the fuel tank?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Adpros

I don't know... We sure do seem to replace a lot of fuel tanks in a lot of different models. RS minivans were the worst I believe. The latest run of tanks seems to be the Jeep Wranglers.
Adpros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Lifetime Warranty on 2005 Chrysler 300 Fuel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While I typically wouldn't create a thread on the forum for this type of news the reported condition hits close to home since my father has a 2006 Chrysler 300C that does the exact same thing.
I thought of this thread yesterday when I received a phone call from my Dad indicating he received a letter from Chrysler stating that his 2005 Chrysler 300C now has a Lifetime Warranty on the fuel tank.

Apparently Chrysler and the Feds came to terms and Chrysler agreed to issue a Lifetime Fuel Tank Warranty on the affected vehicles and the Feds agreed not to press for a recall. The agreement was reached in February and letters to affected customers are arriving now.

My Dad will definitely be getting his Chrysler 300 fixed. While his solution of never filling the gas tank beyond 80% of capacity had eliminated the stalling issue he didn't want to sell the vehicle to someone else at a later date and have them experience the stalling issue.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

I thought of this thread the other day when my Dad told me he finally got the gas tank replaced on his 2005 Chrysler 300.

He's already filled up the tank once and the stalling condition the car used to have after filling the tank is gone. He's a happy camper since the repair didn't cost anything and it makes the vehicle much safer and easier to sell whenever he decides it's time for his next car.